Influence of sulfation conditions on the acidic and catalytic properties of sulfated alumina in isobutane alkylation with butylenes and n-pentane isomerization
The influence of the sulfation parameters (the source and concentration of sulfate ions) and the calcination temperature on the acidic and catalytic properties of sulfated alumina in the alkylation of isobutane with butylenes and n-pentane isomerization was studied. IR spectroscopy of adsorbed probe molecules and temperature-programmed desorption of ammonia were used to characterize the acidic properties of the catalysts. An increase in the content of sulfate groups to the value corresponding to a formal value of the monolayer capacity increases the activity of alkylation and the concentration of strong Brönsted sites. The dependence of the stability of activity in alkylation on the sulfate group concentration is extreme with a maximum at the concentration close to the monolayer capacity. It was concluded from the IR spectroscopic data that the decrease in the stability of activity with the further increase in the content of sulfate groups is due to an increase in the concentration of strong Lewis sites and/or an increase in the surface density of strong Brönsted sites. The absence of the correlation between the catalytic behavior of sulfated alumina samples in n-pentane isomerization and acidity indicates that paraffin activation on these samples occurs via the non-acidic mechanism.
Key wordssulfated alumina isobutane alkylation with butylenes n-pentane isomerization IR spectroscopy temperature-programmed desorption of ammonia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.M. Yu. Smirnova, G. A. Urguntsev, A. B. Ayupov, G. V. Echevsky, Proc. 10th Int. Symp. Heterogeneous Catal., Varna, Bulgaria, 2008, 33.Google Scholar
- 10.R. I. Soltanov, E. A. Paukshtis, E. N. Yurchenko, Kinet. Katal., 1982, 23, 164 [Kinet. Catal. (Engl. Transl.), 1982, 23].Google Scholar
- 20.E. A. Paukshtis, E. N. Yurchenko, Usp. Khim., 1983, 52, 426 [Russ. Chem. Rev. (Engl. Transl.), 1983, 52].Google Scholar
- 23.E. A. Paukshtis, R. I. Soltanov, E. N. Yurchenko, K. Jiratova, Collect. Czech. Chem. Commun., 1982, 47, 2044.Google Scholar
- 25.N. N. Avgulґ, A. V. Kiselev, I. A. Lygina, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1962, 32 [Bull. Acad. Sci. USSR, Div. Chem. Sci. (Engl. Transl.), 1962, 11].Google Scholar
- 26.V. S. Levchuk, N. E. Buyanova, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim., 1972, 27 [Bull. Acad. Sci. USSR, Div. Chem. Sci. (Engl. Transl.), 1972, 21, 24].Google Scholar
- 27.E. A. Paukshtis, Infrakrasnaya spektroskopiya v geterogennom kislotno-osnovnom katalize [Infrared Spectroscopy in Heterogeneous Acid-Base Catalysis], Novosibirsk, Nauka, 1992, 255 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar