Structure and photochromic and magnetic properties of 1-isopropyl-3,3,5′,6′-tetramethylspiro[indoline-2,2′-2H-pyrano[3,2-b]pyridinium] tris(oxalato)chromate(III)
Single crystals of 1-isopropyl-3,3,5′,6′-tetramethylspiro[indoline-2,2′-2H-pyrano[3,2-b]-pyridinium] tris(oxalato)chromate(III) (Sp)3Cr(C2O4)3 were prepared for the first time. The molecular and crystal structure of this salt was studied by X-ray diffraction. The crystal structure of the salt consists of the structural units [3(Sp)+…Cr(C2O4)3 3−], in which the charged pyranopyridinium moieties of the photochromic cations (Sp)+ are directed toward the oxalate groups, whereas the indoline moieties are directed into the cavities between the structural units. This structure appeared to be favorable for photochromic transformations in the crystals. Under UV irradiation of the (Sp)3Cr(C2O4)3 salt, the thermally stable closed form of spiropyran (λmax = 370 nm) is transformed into the open form (λmax = 574 and 603 nm). The reverse cyclization proceeds slowly in the dark (k = 1.0(2)·10−5 s−1 and rapidly under visible light irradiation. The spectroscopic and photochromic properties of the oxalatochromate (Sp)3Cr(C2O4)3 are similar to those of the iodide SpI. The magnetic properties of (Sp)3Cr(C2O4)3 were studied before and after UV irradiation.
Key wordsspiropopyrans oxalatochromate(III) crystal structure photochromism magnetic properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Clément, S. Decurtins, M. Gruselle, C. Train, Monatsh. Chem., 2003, 134, 117.Google Scholar
- 4.S. M. Aldoshin, N. A. Sanina, V. A. Nadtochenko, E. A. Yurieva, V. I. Minkin, N. A. Voloshin, V. N. Ikorskii, V. I. Ovcharenko, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 2007, 1055 [Russ. Chem. Bull., Int. Ed., 2007, 56, 1095].Google Scholar
- 5.G. M. Sheldrick, SHELXTL v. 6.14, Structure Determination Software Suite, Bruker AXS, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.L. O. Atovmyan, G. V. Shilov, R. N. Lyubovskaya, E. I. Zhilyaeva, N. S. Ovanesyan, Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1993, 58, 818 [JETP Lett., 1993, 58 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar
- 10.R. B. Morgunov, F. B. Mushenok, S. M. Aldoshin, E. A. Yur’eva, G. V. Shilov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 2009, 51, No. 5 [Sov. Phys. Sol. State, 2009, 51, No. 5 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar