Spin crossover in polyaniline
- 68 Downloads
Solutions of the basic form of polyaniline in m-cresol were studied by ESR and optical spectroscopy in the visible region. m-Cresol can slowly (during one month) protonate polyaniline. For the first time characteristic features of spin crossover were found: sharp changes in the magnetic susceptibility and the ESR line width of polyaniline at ∼200 and 250 K, a smooth decrease in the susceptibility and absorption with the temperature increase from 293 to 423 K, and the temperature hysteresis. The temperature-induced structural rearrangements of polyaniline are caused, most likely, by singlet-triplet transitions in relatively short sections of the polymer chain. The model of short sections permits to explain the origin of the temperature-independent part of susceptibility. Quantum-chemical calculations for the aniline dimers and tetramers describe correctly the singlet-triplet splitting value, thermochromism, and HFS constants in the spectrum of polyaniline.
Key wordspolyaniline ESR spectroscopy spin crossover quantum chemistry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.A. V. Kulikov, A. S. Komissarova, A. G. Ryabenko, L. S. Fokeeva, I. G. Shunina, and O. V. Belonogova, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 2005, 2701 [Russ. Chem. Bull., Int. Ed., 2005, 54, 2794].Google Scholar
- 11.M. J. Frisch, G. W. Trucks, H. B. Schlegel, G. E. Scuseria, M. A. Robb, J. R. Cheeseman, V. G. Zakrzewski, J. A. Montgomery, Jr., R. E. Stratmann, J. C. Burant, S. Dapprich, J. M. Millam, A. D. Daniels, K. N. Kudin, M. C. Strain, O. Farkas, J. Tomasi, V. Barone, M. Cossi, R. Cammi, B. Mennucci, C. Pomelli, C. Adamo, S. Clifford, J. Ochterski, G. A. Petersson, P. Y. Ayala, Q. Cui, K. Morokuma, D. K. Malick, A. D. Rabuck, K. Raghavachari, J. B. Foresman, J. Cioslowski, J. V. Ortiz, A. G. Baboul, B. B. Stefanov, G. Liu, A. Liashenko, P. Piskorz, I. Komaromi, R. Gomperts, R. L. Martin, D. J. Fox, T. Keith, M. A. Al-Laham, C. Y. Peng, A. Nanayakkara, C. Gonzalez, M. Challacombe, P. M. W. Gill, B. Johnson, W. Chen, M. W. Wong, J. L. Andres, C. Gonzalez, M. Head-Gordon, E. S. Replogle, and J. A. Pople, GAUSSIAN-98, Revision A.7, Gaussian, Inc., Pittsburgh (PA), 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.I. A. Misurkin, Khim. Fiz. [Chemical Physics], 1996, 15, 110 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 16.A. V. Kulikov, V. R. Bogatyrenko, O. V. Belonogova, L. S. Fokeeva, A. V. Lebedev, T. A. Echmaeva, and I. G. Shunina, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 2002, 2057 [Russ. Chem. Bull., Int. Ed., 2002, 51, 2216].Google Scholar
- 18.A. V. Kulikov, V. R. Bogatyrenko, O. V. Belonogova, and L. S. Fokeeva, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 1999, 2293 [Russ. Chem. Bull., 1999, 48, 2267 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar