Thermodynamics of ion exchange of H+ by Na+ or NH4+ on ion-exchange resins based on C-tetramethylcalixresorcinarene
The corrected selectivity coefficients of the ion exchange H+-Na+ and H+-NH4+ on ion-exchange resins based on C-tetramethylcalixresorcinarene were calculated from the experimental data obtained from studying ion-exchange equilibria. The preference of the ion-exchange resins for cations increases in the sequence: Na+ < NH4+ < < H+, and the ion-exchange resin based on (2-furyl)hydroxymethyltetramethylcalixresorcinarene has a higher preference for ammonium cations. According to the results of microcalorimetric measurements, the exchange H+-Na+ on this ion-exchange resin is accompanied by the highest change in the differential enthalpy. It follows from the quantum-chemical calculations that the introduction of a (2-furyl)hydroxymethyl group into the structure of the polymer induces additional electrostatic interactions between an ammonium cation and an elementary unit of the ion-exchange resin.
Key wordscation-exchange resin C-tetramethylcalixresorcinarene ammonium cation sodium cation corrected selectivity coefficient of ion exchange differential enthalpy quantum-chemical calculation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. N. Altshuler, L. A. Sapozhnikova, and L. P. Abramova, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 1998, 2214 [Russ. Chem. Bull., 1998, 47, 2146 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar
- 4.M. Marhol, Ion Exchangers in Analytical Chemistry, Academia, Prague, 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.I. M. Korenman, Kolichestvennyi mikrokhimicheskii analiz [Quantitative Microchemical Analysis], Goskhimizdat, Moscow-Leningrad, 1949, 259 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 6.Voprosy fizicheskoi khimii rastvorov elektrolitov [Problems of Physical Chemistry of Electrolyte Solutions], Ed. G. I. Mikulin, Khimiya, Leningrad, 1968, 417 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 7.Termodinamicheskie svoistva individual’nykh veshchestv [Thermodynamic Properties of Individual Substances], Ed. L. V. Gurvich, Nauka, Moscow, 1982, 4, p. 442 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 8.Nomenklaturnye pravila IYuPAK po khimii [IUPAC Nomenclature Rules on Chemistry], Moscow, 1979, 1, Part 2, p. 575 (in Russian).Google Scholar