Preparation Methods for Composite Ceramic Materials Based on AlN–BN (Review)
The main methods are considered for preparing composite ceramic material based on AlN and BN compounds, combining component properties successfully: high thermal conductivity and good mechanical properties of aluminum nitride supplemented by high dielectric properties and easy workability of boron nitride. Methods are provided for preparing ceramics from powder mixtures, i.e., normal sintering, hot pressing, reaction sintering, sintering in a spark discharge (SPS), and also methods making it possible to prepare material with a more homogeneous structure using organic and inorganic precursors.
Keywordscomposite material aluminum nitride boron nitride
- 1.G. V. Samsonov, O. P. Kulik, and V. S. Polishchuk, Nitride Preparation and Analysis Methods [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.Technical information about product under trade mark Shapal of company Tokuyama Corporation and producer’s site: booklet. URL: http://www.tokuyama.co.jp/eng/products/specialty/shapal/pdf/catalog/Shapal_e.pdf (access date: 12.11.2012).
- 3.Technical information about product under trade mark BNP-2 and site of company Ceramic Substrates and Components Ltd. URL: http://www.ceramic-substrates.co.uk/machinable_ceramics/bnp2.html (access date: 12.11.2012).
- 4.Properties of materials produced by company Aremco Products Inc: Technical Bulletin, URL: http://www.aremco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/A01_12.pdf (access date: 12.11.2012).
- 5.L. I. Prikhod’ko, “High-temperature electrical insulation materials based on refractory oxygen-free compounds,” Author’s Abstr. Diss. Cand. Tech. Sci., KPI, Kiev (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.G. V. Samsonov, Nonmetallic Nitrides [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 7.T. Ya. Kosolanova, T. V. Andreeva, T. S. Bartnistskaya, et al., Nonmetallic Refractory Compounds [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.A. V. Belyakov, I. G. Kuznetsova, N. A. Popova, et al., “Aluminum nitride ceramic with addition of boron nitride,” Ceramics and Refractories: Prospective Solutions and Nanotechnology: Proc. Internat. Conf with Elements of Scientific Schools for the Young, V. G. Shukov BGTU, Belgorod, 9 – 12 November, 2010, Belgorod (2010).Google Scholar
- 10.M. S. Koval’chenko, T. V. Dubovik, A. A. Rogozinskaya, et al., “Effects of initial powder vibrogrinding on the properties of AlN–BN ceramic composites,” Powder Met. Metal Ceram., 43(9/10), 443 – 446 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.Nobuyuki Kuramoto, Kazuya Takada, and Yoshihiko Numata, US Patent 4642298. Composite nitride sintered body, issue February 10, 1987.Google Scholar
- 13.K. S. Mazdiyasni, R. Ruh, and E. E. Hermes, “Phase characterization and properties of AlN–BN composites,” Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 64(8), 1149 – 1154 (1985).Google Scholar
- 15.J. R. Morris and R. A. Tanzilli , US Patent 4666873, Aluminum nitride-boron nitride composite article and method of making same, issue May 19, 1987.Google Scholar
- 16.Guo-Jun Zhang, Jian-Feng Yang, Motohide Ando, et al., “Nonoxide–boron nitride composites: in situ synthesis, microstructure and properties,” J. Europ. Ceram. Soc., 22, 2551 – 2554 (2002).Google Scholar
- 17.K. A. Khor, K. H. Cheng, L. G. Yu, et al., “Thermal conductivity and dielectric constant of spark plasma sintered aluminum nitride,” Mat. Sci. Eng., A347, 300 – 305 (2003).Google Scholar
- 21.Xu Jingwen, Ki-Ju Lee, Si-Young Beck, et al., “Mechanical properties and machinability of AlN–hBN ceramics prepared by spark plasma sintering,” J. Ceram. Soc. of Jap., 117(9), 1028 – 1031 (2009).Google Scholar
- 23.Tiekun Jia,WeiminWang, Zhengyi Fu, et al., “AlN matrix composites fabricated by the spark plasma sintering—reactive synthesis method,” J. Ceramic Processing Research, 10(6), 794 – 797 (2009).Google Scholar
- 24.Dou Danan, D. R. Ketchum, E. J. M. Hamilton, et al., “Reactions of aluminum hydride derivatives with ammonia-borane: a new approach toward AlN / BN materials,” Chemistry of Materials, 8 , 2839 – 2842 .Google Scholar
- 25.Pat 4764489 US. Preparation of mixed boron and aluminum nitrides / Bolt John D. Issue August 16, 1988.Google Scholar
- 29.Jin Hai-yun, Bo He, Nai-Kui Gao, et al., “Corrosion behavior and creepage discharge character for machinable AlN / h-BN ceramics composites,” J. Ceramic Processing Research, 9(5), 526 – 529 (2008).Google Scholar
- 31.N. V. Kosmacheva, “Self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of composites based on silicon, aluminum, and boron nitrides using sodium azide and halide salts,” Author’s Abstr. Diss. Cand. Tech. Sci., Samara (2004).Google Scholar