Determination of the Wave Parameters from the Statistical Characteristics of the Image of a Linear Test Object
- 18 Downloads
We statistically analyze the images of the objects of the “light-line” and “half-plane” types which are observed through a randomly irregular air-water interface. The expressions for the correlation function of fluctuations of the image of an object given in the form of a luminous half-plane are found. The possibility of determining the spatial and temporal correlation functions of the slopes of a rough water surface from these relationships is shown.
The problem of the probability of intersection of a small arbitrarily oriented line segment by the contour image of a luminous straight line is solved. Using the results of solving this problem, we show the possibility of determining the values of the curvature variances of a rough water surface.
A practical method for obtaining an image of a rectilinear luminous object in the light rays reflected from the rough surface is proposed. It is theoretically shown that such an object can be synthesized by temporal accumulation of the image of a point source of light rapidly moving in the horizontal plane with respect to the water surface.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yu.-A. R. Mullamaa, Atlas of Optical Characteristics of the Rough Sea Surface [in Russian], Izd. AN ESSR, Tartu (1964).Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Titov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, 18, No. 2, 215 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.A. N. Bol’shakov, V. M. Burdyugov, S. A. Grodsky, and V.N. Kudryavtsev, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, 26, No. 6, 652 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu.G. Burtsev and V.N. Pelevin, Light Fields in the Ocean [in Russian], Inst. Okeanol. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.R. G. Gardashov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, 27, No. 12, 1367 (1991).Google Scholar
- 9.V. L. Weber, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana, 18, No. 3, 286 (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.V. L. Weber, Optika Atmosfery i Okeana, 12, No. 12, 1132 (1999).Google Scholar
- 14.V. L. Weber, Proc. VII Int. Conf. “Current Problems in Optics of Natural Waters”(September 10–14, 2013, St.-Petersburg), p. 230.Google Scholar
- 15.B. R. Levin, Theoretical Fundamentals of Statistical Radioengineering. Book One [in Russian], Sovetskoe Radio, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 17.G. Kramer and M. Lidbetter, Stationary Random Processes [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 18.W. L. Veber, Method of Obtaining Information on Rough Water Surface, USSR Invent. Cert. No. 1169424, claimed March 24, 1983Google Scholar