Propagation and Generation of Electromagnetic Waves at Proton Gyrofrequencies in a Relativistic Electron–Positron Plasma. II. Excitation of Electromagnetic Waves
- 39 Downloads
In part I of this work , we study the dispersion characteristics of low-frequency waves in a relativistic electron–positron plasma. In part II, we examine the electromagnetic wave instability in this plasma caused by an admixture of nonrelativistic protons with energy comparable with the energy of relativistic low-mass particles. The instability occurs in the frequency band between the fundamental harmonic of proton gyrofrequency and the fundamental harmonic of relativistic electron gyrofrequency. The results can be used for the interpretation of known observations of the pulsar emissions obtained with a high time and frequency resolution. The considered instability can probably be the initial stage of the microwave radio emission nanoshots typical of the pulsar in the Crab Nebula.
KeywordsDispersion Relation Electromagnetic Wave Relativistic Electron Lorentz Factor Crab Nebula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. V. Zheleznyakov, V. V. Zaitsev, and E.Ya. Zlotnik, Pis’ma Astron. Zh., 38, No. 9, 583 (2012).Google Scholar
- 3.V. V. Zheleznyakov, Radiation in Astrophysical Plasmas, Kluwer (1996).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Abramowitz and I.A. Steagun, eds., Handbook of Mathematical Functions, National Bureau of Standards (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.F. G. Smith, Pulsars, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1998).Google Scholar
- 6.V. S. Beskin, A. V.Gurevich, and Ya.N. Istomin, Physics of the Pulsar Magnetosphere, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2005).Google Scholar
- 7.T. H. Hankins and J. A. Eilek, Astrophys. J ., 670, 693 (2007).Google Scholar
- 8.V.V. Zheleznyakov and V. E. Shaposhnikov, Astrophys. Space Sci ., 18, 166 (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.A. B. Mikhailovskii, O. G.Onishenko, and E.G.Tatarinov, Plasma Phys. Controlled Fusion, 27, No. 5, 527 (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.A. V. Mikhailovskii, O. G.Onishenko, and E.G.Tatarinov, Plasma Phys. Controlled Fusion, 27, No. 5, 539 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.V. V.Kocharovsky and Vl. V.Kocharovsky, Fiz. Plazmy, 6, 565 (1980).Google Scholar
- 12.V. V. Zheleznyakov, V. V.Kocharovski, and Vl. V.Kocharovski, Sov. Phys. Usp., 26, No. 10, 877 (1983).Google Scholar