Numerical Simulation of the Influence of the may 2–3, 2010 Geomagnetic Storm on HF Radio-Wave Propagation in the Ionosphere
- 52 Downloads
This study is devoted to HF radio wave propagation in the ionosphere during the May 1–3, 2010 geomagnetic storm. The research results were obtained by using two models, namely, the GSM TIP environment model developed at WD IZMIRAN and the radio-wave propagation model developed at I. Kant BFU. For certain selected frequencies we show the effect of the geomagnetic storm on the radio wave propagation. We give examples of a HF radio-wave path in the channels between the F1 and F2 layers of a high-latitude ionosphere and the F2 and F3 layers of a lowlatitude ionosphere. Characteristics of these layers may significantly affect the interpretation of the oblique sounding ionograms.
KeywordsRadio Wave Geomagnetic Storm Electron Number Density Quiet Condition Ionospheric Storm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. A. Kutelev and V. I. Kurkin, in: Proc. Int. All-Russia Sci. Conf. “The Propagation of Radio Waves,” May 23–26, 2011, Yoshkar Ola [in Russian], Vol. 1, p. 235.Google Scholar
- 13.V. E. Zakharov and A.A. Chernyak, Vestn. I. Kant RGU, No. 3, 36 (2007).Google Scholar
- 14.V.E. Zakharov and D. S. Kotova, in: Proc. XXIII All-Russia Sci. Conf. “The Propagation of Radio Waves,” May 23–26, 2011, Yoshkar-Ola [in Russian], Vol. 3, p. 340.Google Scholar
- 15.V.E. Zakharov and D. S. Kotova, Radiotekhnika, 2, 87 (2013).Google Scholar
- 16.V.E. Zakharov and D. S. Kotova, Vestn. I. Kant BFU, No 4, 34 (2013).Google Scholar
- 21.B. E. Bryunelli and A. A. Namgaladze, Physics of the Ionosphere [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1988).Google Scholar
- 22.D. S. Kotova, M.V. Klimenko, V. V. Klimenko, et al., in: Proc. 18th Regional Conf. “The Propagation of Radio Waves,” November 13–15, 2012, St. Petersburg [in Russian], p. 72.Google Scholar
- 23.M. V. Klimenko, V. V. Klimenko, N. A. Korenkova, et al., in: Proc. XXXV Annual Seminar “Physics of Auroral Phenomena” 28 February–02 March 2011, Apatity, Polar Geophys. Inst. KSC RAS, p. 111.Google Scholar
- 25.E. Yu. Feshchenko and Yu. P.Maltsev, Proc. XXVI Annual Seminar “Physics of Auroral Phenomena,” 25–28 February 2003, Apatity, Polar Geophys. Inst. KSC RAS, p. 59.Google Scholar
- 31.D. S. Kotova, M. V. Klimenko, V. V. Klimenko, and V. E. Zakharov, Vestnik I. Kant BFU, No. 10 [in press].Google Scholar