Analysis of One-Point Methods for Lightning-Discharge Passive Location
- 33 Downloads
We consider different algorithms for one-point determination of the coordinates of a high-current lightning discharge within the framework of its model as an arbitrarily oriented electric dipole. The considered algorithms are based on simultaneous processing of the vertical electric and horizontal magnetic components of the electromagnetic field of the discharge. Model estimations of the errors of some algorithms, which are caused by the influence of external atmospheric and industrial interference, are presented. The results allow one to formulate the requirements for instrumental equipment of lightning direction and range finders and estimate the boundaries of their operative application under conditions of reaching the necessary accuracy. We discuss the data obtained during field tests of functional prototypes of such devices in the actual lightning-storm environment, which confirm their applicability for one-point passive location of thunderstorm cells.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. I. Kononov, I.A. Petrenko, and V. S. Snegurov, Radioengineering Methods of Positioning of Thunderstorm Cells [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.“Ochag-2P” Distance and Range Finder [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.D. L. Dovzhenko, in: Problems of Radio Wave Diffraction and Propagation [in Russian], (1993), No. 25, p. 219.Google Scholar
- 6.A.V. Panyukov and D.V.Buduev, Elektrichestvo, No. 4, 10 (2001).Google Scholar
- 7.A.V. Panyukov and D.V.Buduev, Izv. Chelyabinsk. Nauchn. Tsentra, No. 4, 15 (2004).Google Scholar
- 8.A. V. Panyukov and A.K.Bogushov, Vestn. South-Urals State Univ., Mathematical Simulation and Programming, 12, No. 18 (277), 32 (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.I. I. Kononov, Proc. Main Geophys. Observ., No. 358, 61 (1975).Google Scholar
- 11.I. I. Kononov and I. E. Yusupov, in: Proc. 31st Int. Conf. on Lightning Protection, Vienna, Austria, 2012, p.1.Google Scholar
- 12.I. I. Kononov, Device for Range Estimation [in Russian], USSR Author’s Certificate No. 316048 (1971).Google Scholar
- 13.P. Richard, in: Proc. 23rd Int. Conf. on Lightning Protection, Firenze, Italy, 1996, p. 241.Google Scholar
- 14.I. I. Kononov, I.A.Petrenko, and P. Richard, in: Proc. 24th Int. Conf. on Lightning Protection, Birmigham, UK, 1998, p. 221.Google Scholar
- 15.I. I. Kononov and I. E.Yusupov, J. Communic. Technol. Electron., 49, No. 3, 260 (2004).Google Scholar