Synthesis of mode converters on the basis of the FDTD method
We propose a universal technique for synthesizing mode converters, which is based on numerical integration of the Maxwell equations on a space-time mesh by the FDTD method. The new technique is an iterative algorithm, in which the correction to the converter profile at each iteration is calculated via the fields on the converter surface that are obtained from two conjugate problems, specifically, by direct and inverse (with an inversion of the time-integration direction) solution of the equations for electromagnetic fields. The efficiency of the synthesis algorithm is illustrated by examples that are of practical importance. The technique is compared with that proposed earlier, which used the solution of a system of equations for coupled waves.
KeywordsIterative Step Conjugate Problem FDTD Method Mode Converter Synthesis Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Z.Katzenelenbaum and V.V. Semenov, Radiotekh. Élektron., 12, 244 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.G. G. Denisov and A. V.Chirkov, in: Conference Digest of the Joint 31st IRMMW Conference and 14th Int. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, Shanghai, China, September 18–22, 2006, p. 196.Google Scholar
- 7.A.Taflove and S.C.Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Boston (2000).Google Scholar
- 9.B. Z.Katzenelenbaum, Theory of Irregular Waveguides with Slowly Varying Parameters [in Russian], USSR Acad. Sci., Moscow (1961).Google Scholar
- 10.S.V. Kuzikov, G.G.Denisov, S.Heikkenen, et al., in: D.K.Abe and G.Nusinovich, eds., AIP Conf. Proc. 7th Workshop on High Energy Density and High Power RF Greece, 2006, Vol. 807, p. 424.Google Scholar
- 11.S. V.Kuzikov and M. E.Plotkin, “Synthesis of multi-mode waveguide systems on the basis of the FDTD Method”, Preprint No. 731 [in Russian], Inst. Appl. Phys., Nizhny Novgorod (2007).Google Scholar
- 12.S.V. Kuzikov and M. E. Plotkin, in: Conference Digest of the Joint 32nd IRMMW Conference and 15th Int. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, Cardiff, UK, September 3–7, 2007, Vol. 1, p. 781.Google Scholar