Radiated power of oscillators traveling in a moving medium
- 20 Downloads
We consider the radiation from oscillating electric and magnetic dipoles moving with constant velocity directed parallel or antiparallel to the velocity of the surrounding medium. It is assumed that the medium in its rest frame is isotropic and has no spatial dispersion. We obtain expressions for the spectral density of the radiated power. In the case of a nondispersive medium, algebraic expressions for the total radiated power in the regime of “subluminal relative motion” are also obtained. In particular, it is shown that the energy loss of a source is negative if it moves in the direction of the superluminal motion of the medium and the source velocity is somewhat smaller than the medium velocity. It is noted that this phenomenon takes place for a smaller difference between the velocities of the source and the medium compared with a similar phenomenon for nonoscillating sources.
KeywordsSpectral Density Magnetic Dipole Spatial Dispersion Moving Medium Inhomogeneous Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. M. Frank, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 6, Nos. 1–2, 3 (1942).Google Scholar
- 2.V. L. Ginzburg and I. M. Frank, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 56, No. 7, 699 (1947).Google Scholar
- 3.I. M. Frank, Vavilov-Čerenkov Radiation [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.B. M. Bolotovskii and S. N. Stolyarov, in: Einstein Compendium, 1978–1979 [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1983), p. 173.Google Scholar
- 8.É. G. Doil’nitsina, Yu. B. Zhuravlev, and A. V. Tyukhtin, Vestn. St. Petersburg Univ., Ser. 4: Fiz., Khim., Pt. 4, No. 28, 44 (2001).Google Scholar
- 13.V. A. Ugarov, Special Theory of Relativity [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.B. M. Bolotovskii and S. N. Stolyarov, in: Einstein Compendium, 1974 [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1976), p. 179.Google Scholar
- 15.B. M. Bolotovskii and S. N. Stolyarov, in: Problems of Theoretical Physics. Collection of Papers Dedicated to the Memory of I. E. Tamm [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1972), p. 267.Google Scholar
- 16.A. V. Tyukhtin, Electromagnetic Radiation from a Charged Particle Moving in an Isotropic Medium [in Russian], St. Petersburg Univ. Press, St. Petersburg (2004).Google Scholar
- 17.A. V. Tyukhtin, Electromagnetic Waves in a Moving Nondispersive Medium [in Russian], St. Petersburg Univ. Press, St. Petersburg (2004).Google Scholar