Giacomo Corneo, Bessere Welt. Berlin, Germany: Goldegg Verlag, 2014. 368 Pages. 24,90 € (hardcover)
- 136 Downloads
In Better World, the author presents a broad overview of real and purely conceptual alternatives to the contemporary varieties of capitalism. They range from the platonic Guardian state to Morus’ Utopia and Kropotkin’s Anarchy. The second half of the book is dedicated to various forms of economic planning. It culminates in a stand-off between a model based on John Roemer’s fifth generation market socialism (coupon stock market) (Roemer and Bardhan 1994; also see Stauber 1977) and the Swedish welfare state.1 While the scope of the book is impressive and this reviewer considers the endeavor of conversing with intelligent lay-people of a left-leaning persuasion a worthy one, the author offers both too much and too little.
The first 150 pages are a somewhat tedious read and can be skipped safely (too much). The descriptions of the state philosophers or freely accessible public warehouses are designed to prepare an audience with little background in economics for the discussion of more...
- Bartels, L. M. (2010). Unequal democracy: The political economy of the New guilded Age. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Hayek, F. A. (1944). The road to serfdom. London: George Routledge & Sons.Google Scholar
- OECD (2013), Income inequality, in OECD Factbook 2013: Economic, environmental and social statistics, OECD PublishingGoogle Scholar
- Roemer, J. E. (2014). Thoughts on arrangements of property rights in productive assets. Analyse & Kritik, 35(1), 55–63.Google Scholar
- Wagner, Richard E. (2007) Fiscal Sociology and the Theory of Public Finance: An Exploratory Essay, Edward ElgarGoogle Scholar