Long-term health-related quality of life in eating disorders
- 658 Downloads
There is limited evidence on the long-term development of health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in eating disorders and its relation to eating disorder symptoms. Our objective was to measure long-term change in the HRQoL of eating disorder patients and compare it to normal population.
Fifty-four bulimia nervosa (BN) and forty-seven anorexia nervosa (AN) patients (ICD-10 diagnosis) entering treatment completed the 15D HRQoL questionnaire and the Eating Disorder Inventory (EDI) before and approximately 8 years after the start of treatment.
Baseline HRQoL was severely impaired in the patients. During follow-up, mean HRQoL, body mass index (BMI) and EDI improved statistically significantly in both groups. BMI of AN patients reached normal values, but HRQoL was still severely impaired in both AN and BN compared to general population.
The long-term HRQoL after treatment continues to improve, but is still after 8 years poor. Eating disorders are very serious conditions with long-lasting impact on quality of life even after symptom remission.
KeywordsHealth-related quality of life (HRQoL) Anorexia nervosa Bulimia nervosa Eating disorders
The study was funded by research grants from the Hospital Group of Helsinki and Uusimaa, Yrjö Jahnsson Foundation (No. 6458), Gyllenberg Foundation and the National Graduate School of Clinical Investigation.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Harri Sintonen is the developer of the 15D instrument. Otherwise, the authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest with regard to any of the material presented in this article.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 6.Pohjolainen, V., Ryynänen, O.-P., Räsänen, P., et al. (2014). Bayesian prediction of treatment outcome in anorexia nervosa: A preliminary study. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, 7, 1–6.Google Scholar
- 13.The 15D instrument. http://www.15d-instrument.net/15d. Retrieved January 2014.
- 14.Sintonen, H. (1994). The 15D-measure of health-related quality of life. I. Reliability, validity and sensitivity of its health state descriptive system. National Centre for Health Program Evaluation, working paper 41, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- 15.Sintonen, H. (1995). The 15D-measure of health-related quality of life. II. Feasibility, reliability and validity of its valuation system. National Centre for Health Program Evaluation, working paper 42, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- 21.Aromaa, A. & Koskinen, S. (Eds.). (2004). Health and functional capacity in Finland. Baseline results of the Health 2000 Health Examination Survey. Helsinki: Publications of the National Public Health Institute B12.Google Scholar
- 22.Koskinen, S., Lundqvist, A., & Ristiluoma, N. (Eds.). (2012). Health, functional capacity and welfare in Finland in 2011. National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), Report 68/2012. Helsinki. http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-245-769-1.