The valuation of the EQ-5D in Portugal
- 614 Downloads
The EQ-5D is a preference-based measure widely used in cost-utility analysis (CUA). Several countries have conducted surveys to derive value sets, but this was not the case for Portugal. The purpose of this study was to estimate a value set for the EQ-5D for Portugal using the time trade-off (TTO).
A representative sample of the Portuguese general population (n = 450) stratified by age and gender valued 24 health states. Face-to-face interviews were conducted by trained interviewers. Each respondent ranked and valued seven health states using the TTO. Several models were estimated at both the individual and aggregated levels to predict health state valuations. Alternative functional forms were considered to account for the skewed distribution of these valuations.
The models were analyzed in terms of their coefficients, overall fit and the ability for predicting the TTO values. Random effects models were estimated using generalized least squares and were robust across model specification. The results are generally consistent with other value sets.
This research provides the Portuguese EQ-5D value set based on the preferences of the Portuguese general population as measured by the TTO. This value set is recommended for use in CUA conducted in Portugal.
KeywordsEQ-5D Health-related quality of life QALYs TTO Utility Value set
We thank the editor and the anonymous reviewers for their constructive comments and suggestions which have considerably improved an earlier version of the article. We acknowledge financial support from the (former) Office of the High Commissioner for Health, Portugal, to conduct the EQ-5D valuation study. We also thank the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) for financing our research centres.
- 8.Ferreira, L., & Ferreira, P. (2013). Health state values, methods, Portugal and the UK. In A. Michalos (Ed.), Encyclopedia of quality of life research. Springer (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- 9.Szende, A., Oppe, M., & Charro, F. d. (2007). Comparative review of time trade-off value sets. In A. Szende, M. Oppe, & N. Devlin (Eds.), EQ-5D value sets—inventory, comparative review and user guide (vol. 2, pp. 21–28): EuroQol Group Monographs.Google Scholar
- 13.Ohinmaa, A., Eija, H., & Sintonen, H. Modelling Euro-Qol values of Finnish adult population. In X. Badia, M. Herdman, & A. Segura (Eds.), EuroQol 1995 Barcelona plenary meeting, Barcelona, 3–6 October 1996 (pp. 67–76): Institut de Salut Pública de Catalunya.Google Scholar
- 14.Chevalier, J., & Pouvourville, G. (2012). Valuing EQ-5D using time trade-off in France. The European Journal Health Economics, doi: 10.1007/s10198-011-0351-x.
- 28.Silva, E., Gouveia Pinto, C., Sampaio, C., Pereira, J., Drummond, M., & Trindade, R. (1998). Guidelines for economic drug evaluation studies. Lisbon: INFARMED.Google Scholar
- 29.Portuguese Statistical Office (2012). Census 2011.Google Scholar
- 31.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2005). EQ-5D Health State Valuation Survey Conducted by Research Triangle Institute on Behalf of the University of Arizona Center for Health Outcomes and PharmacoEconomic Research-Interviewer Book. http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/clinicians-providers/resources/rice/EQ-5D/forms/EQ5Dbook.pdf. Accessed 27 Dec 2011.