Quality of life of patients with oesophageal cancer in Taiwan: validation and application of the Taiwan Chinese (Mandarin) version of the EORTC QLQ-OES18: a brief communication
- 272 Downloads
The aim of this study was to examine the reliability and validity, and the application of the Taiwan Chinese Version of the EORTC QLQ-OES18.
The authors translated the questionnaire according to the guideline of the EORTC. Ninety-five patients with oesophageal cancer in National Taiwan University Hospital were interviewed using the questionnaire and the EORTC QLQ-C30 between October 2002 and September 2007. Answer distribution and psychometric properties of the EORTC QLQ-OES18 were examined.
The mean age of the patients was 60 years (SD 12 years). Most of the patients were in advanced stages of disease, with two-thirds off-treatment. The Cronbach’s alpha coefficients were satisfactory (0.77–0.82) or near-satisfactory (pain: 0.67). The item-to-own and item-to-other scale correlations showed satisfactory results. Patients who were on-treatment versus off-treatment had significantly poorer quality of life scores in dysphagia, dry mouth, and taste, and a borderline poorer score in cough. Opposite situations were seen in the scales of reflux and choking.
The EORTC QLQ-OES18 is a valid instrument to assess quality of life issues in patients with oesophageal cancer in Taiwan.
KeywordsOesophageal cancer EORTC QLQ-C30 EORTC QLQ-OES18 Quality of life
The authors of this study are grateful to the interviewers and for administrative assistance from the Department of Surgery and the Division of Medical Records of the National Taiwan University Hospital. Grant sponsor: The National Science Council, Taiwan, No. NSC 94-2314-B002-098, NSC95-2314-B002-266MY1, and NSC95-2314-B002-266MY2.
- 1.Bureau of Health Promotion, Department of Health: Cancer Registry, Taiwan, 2009. http://crs.cph.ntu.edu.tw/main.php?Page=A5.
- 2.Department of Health: Health Statistics, Taiwan, 2009. http://www.doh.gov.tw/CHT2006/DM/DM2_2.aspx?now_fod_list_no=10327&class_no=440&level_no=4.
- 4.Hulscher, J. B., van Sandick, J. W., de Boer, A. G., Wijnhoven, B. P. L., Tijssen, J. G. P., Fockens, P., et al. (2002). Extended transthoracic resection compared with limited transhiatal resection for adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. New England Journal of Medicine, 347, 1662–1669.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Aaronson, N. K., Ahmedzai, A., Berman, B., et al. (1993). The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 85, 65–376.Google Scholar
- 10.Hjermstad, M. J., Fossa, S. D., Bjordal, K., & Kaasa, S. (1995). Test/retest study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Core Quality-of-Life Questionnaire. J Clin Oncology, 13, 1249–1254.Google Scholar
- 17.Blazeby, J. M., Conroy, T., Hammerlid, E., Fayers, P., Sezer, O., Koller, M., et al. (2003). Clinical and psychometric validation of an EORTC questionnaire module, the EORTC QLQ-OES18, to assess quality of life in patients with oesophageal cancer. European Journal of Cancer, 39, 1384–1394.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Cull, A., Sprangers, M., Bjordal, K., et al. (1998). EORTC quality of life study group translation procedure. Brussels: EORTC Quality of Life Study Group.Google Scholar
- 24.Tabachnik, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2001). Using multivariate statistics. London: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- 26.Fayers, P., Aaronson, N., Bjordal, K., Curran, D., & Groenvold, M. (1999). EORTC QLQ-C30 scoring manual (2nd ed.). Brussels: EORTC Quality of Life Study Group.Google Scholar
- 27.Blazeby, J. M., Conroy, T., Bottomley, A., Vickery, C., Arraras, J., Sezer, O., Moore, J., Koller, M., Turhal, N. S., Stuart, R., Van Cutsem, E., D’haese, S., Coens, C., European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Gastrointestinal and Quality of Life Groups. (2004). Clinical and psychometric validation of a questionnaire module, the EORTC QLQ-STO22, to assess quality of life in patients with gastric cancer. Eur J Cancer, 40, 2260–2268.Google Scholar
- 28.Lagergren, P., Fayers, P., Conroy, T., Stein, H. J., Sezer, O., Hardwick, R., Hammerlid, E., Bottomley, A., Van Cutsem, E., Blazeby, J. M., and on behalf of the European Organisation for Research Treatment of Cancer Gastrointestinal and Quality of Life Group. (2007). Clinical and psychometric validation of a questionnaire module, the EORTC QLQ-OG25, to assess health-related quality of life in patients with cancer of the oesophagus, the oesophago–gastric junction and the stomach. European Journal of Cancer, 43, 2066–2073.Google Scholar