Validation of the French version of the colorectal-specific quality-of-life questionnaires EORTC QLQ-CR38 and FACT-C
- 232 Downloads
The aim of this study was to test the psychometric properties of the French version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment (EORTC) quality-of-life colorectal questionnaire (QLQ-CR38) and the functional assessment of cancer therapy-colorectal version 4 (FACT-C).
This prospective study included 209 patients with colorectal cancer: 71 undergoing chemotherapy, 56 radiation, 15 surgery, and 67 survivors. Patients first completed in random order the FACT-C and the EORTC QLQ-CR38 and were asked if they had any preference for either questionnaire. The timing of administration of instruments differed according to patients’ treatment to better assess psychometric properties.
The FACT-C showed good acceptability, good reproducibility and excellent internal consistency. The QLQ-CR38 had lower internal consistency. Patients did not express a preference for one survey over another.
This study confirms the value of the FACT-C and suggests some limits of the QLQ-CR38 for patients with colorectal cancer.
KeywordsColorectal cancer Quality of life Validation EORTC QLQ-CR38 FACT-C
Colorectal cancer subscale
European Organization for Research and Treatment
Functional assessment of cancer therapy-colorectal
Functional assessment of cancer therapy-general
Global health status
Intraclass correlation coefficient
Karnofsky performance status
Quality-of-life colorectal questionnaire
Quality of life
Trial outcome index of FACT-C
We gratefully acknowledge J. Blazeby, C. Carnin, P. Bataillard, E. Petit, and E Lesieu for assistance with patient interviews and the physicians M.C. Kaminsky, P. Rauch, D. Peiffert, G. Créhange, P. Maingon, G. Truc, J. Fraisse, J. Cuisenier, B. Chauffert, E. Désandes, and J.M. Tortuyaux who helped recruit patients. We also thank Sonya Eremenco, Evanston, Illinois, for permission to use the FACT-C, and the EORTC QoL Group, Brussels, for permission to use the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-CR38 questionnaires. This study was supported by grants from the French Ministry of Health Clinical Research Hospital Program (PHRC 2004) and the cancéropole Grand-Est.
- 7.Sprangers, M. A., et al. (1999). The construction and testing of the EORTC colorectal cancer-specific quality of life questionnaire module (QLQ-CR38). European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Study Group on Quality of Life. European Journal of Cancer, 35, 238–247.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Cull, A., et al. (1994). EORTC Quality of Life Study Group Translation Procedure. Brussels: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.Google Scholar
- 12.Cella, D. (1997). Manual of the Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) Measurement Syste. Version 4. Evanston IL: Center on Outcomes, Research & Education (CORE), Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University.Google Scholar
- 13.Fayers, P., et al. (2001). The EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual (3rd ed.). Brussels: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer.Google Scholar
- 25.Tsunoda, A., et al. (2007). Validation of the Japanese version of EORTC QLQ-CR38. Quality of Life Research [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar