Brazilian version of the QLQ-LC13 lung cancer module of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer: preliminary reliability and validity report
- 159 Downloads
This study reports the reliability and validity of the Brazilian Portuguese version of QLQ-LC13. After translation and cross-cultural adaptation, the questionnaire was administered, together with the QLQ-C30 core questionnaire, to 82 patients with lung cancer. The analysis was based on 60 patients who completed two interviews, and who received chemotherapy alone or in combination with radiotherapy. The reliability or internal consistency of dyspnea scale was 0.79. The pain scale needed to be combined with the QLQ-C30 pain items to reach a satisfactory value of 0.73. The construct validity was supported by the ability of the questionnaire to discriminate patients regarding their performance status and type of treatment. However, the change over time, although in the expected direction for all items, was statistically significant in four of the 10 items studied. The criterion-related validity was supported by the statistically significant correlation between all four side effect items and the physicians’ reports of toxicity, while the evolutive changes in the performance status were statistically significant in only four items. Most psychometric properties of the Brazilian version of the QLQ-LC13 were adequately supported in this analysis. However, a wider utilization of this module is necessary to fully ascertain its reliability and validity properties.
KeywordsBrazil EORTC QLQ-LC13 Lung cancer Quality of life
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to thank Ms. Karen West, from the Quality of Life Unit of the EORTC, for assistance throughout the translation and cultural adaptation phases of the study. We are also grateful to the staffs of “Cetho” and “Oncoclínica” for their kind cooperation.
- 1.Brasil. Ministério da Saúde. Secretaria Nacional de Assistência à Saúde. Instituto Nacional de Câncer. Atlas de Mortalidade por Câncer no Brasil 1979–1999. Rio de Janeiro: INCA 2002Google Scholar
- 4.EORTC Quality of Life Group website: http://www.eortc.be/home/qol/Google Scholar
- 7.Cull A, Sprangers M, Bjordal K. EORTC Quality of Life Study Group Translation Procedure. 2nd ed., 2002Google Scholar
- 8.National Cancer Institute – Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program – Common Toxicity Criteria Manual, version 2.0. June 1, 1999Google Scholar
- 9.Lung Cancer Module: QLQ-LC13. In EORTC Quality of Life Group. EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual. 2nd ed., 1999Google Scholar
- 10.Nunnally JC, Bernstein IR. Psychometric Theory, 3rd ed., New York: Mcgraw-Hill, 1994Google Scholar
- 12.Brasil. Ministério da educação. Sistema nacional de avaliação da educação básica. Qualidade da educação: Uma nova leitura do desempenho dos estudantes da oitava série do ensino fundamental. Brasília, 2003Google Scholar