Large-time asymptotics for the G t /M t /s t +GI t many-server fluid queue with abandonment
- 93 Downloads
We previously introduced and analyzed the G t /M t /s t +GI t many-server fluid queue with time-varying parameters, intended as an approximation for the corresponding stochastic queueing model when there are many servers and the system experiences periods of overload. In this paper, we establish an asymptotic loss of memory (ALOM) property for that fluid model, i.e., we show that there is asymptotic independence from the initial conditions as time t evolves, under regularity conditions. We show that the difference in the performance functions dissipates over time exponentially fast, again under the regularity conditions. We apply ALOM to show that the stationary G/M/s+GI fluid queue converges to steady state and the periodic G t /M t /s t +GI t fluid queue converges to a periodic steady state as time evolves, for all finite initial conditions.
KeywordsNonstationary queues Queues with time-varying arrivals Many-server queues Deterministic fluid model Customer abandonment Loss of memory Weakly ergodic Periodic steady state Transient behavior
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)60K25 90B22 90B22
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hall, R.W.: Queueing Methods for Services and Manufacturing. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1991) Google Scholar
- 6.Isaacson, D., Madsen, R.: Markov Chains: Theory and Applications. Wiley, New York (1976) Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, Y., Whitt, W.: A fluid approximation for the G t/GI/s t+GI queue. Columbia University, NY (2010). http://www.columbia.edu/~ww2040/allpapers.html
- 9.Liu, Y., Whitt, W.: A network of time-varying many-server fluid queues with customer abandonment. Columbia University, NY (2010). http://www.columbia.edu/~ww2040/allpapers.html
- 10.Liu, Y., Whitt, W.: The heavily loaded many-server queue with abandonment and deterministic service times, Columbia University, NY (2010). http://www.columbia.edu/~ww2040/allpapers.html
- 12.Mandelbaum, A., Massey, W.A., Reiman, M.I., Rider, B.: Time varying multiserver queues with abandonments and retrials. In: Key, P., Smith, D. (eds.) Proceedings of the 16th International Teletraffic Congress (1999) Google Scholar
- 13.Mandelbaum, A., Massey, W.A., Reiman, M.I., Stolyar, A.: Waiting time asymptotics for time varying multiserver queues with abandonment and retrials. In: Proceedings of the Thirty-Seventh Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing, Allerton, IL, pp. 1095–1104 (1999) Google Scholar
- 14.Newell, G.F.: Applications of Queueing Theory, 2nd edn. Chapman and Hall, London (1982) Google Scholar