Pedagogy of human rights education and secondary school pre-service teachers in India: Philosophy and praxis
- 62 Downloads
This article reports on a study that explores the pedagogical approach of teacher educators in bringing human rights education (HRE) to preservice secondary school teachers, and how these teachers embedded human rights content in their teaching-learning processes during a four-month-long internship period in different schools. The study shows how HRE pedagogy must address challenges from outside as well as from within. It is argued that training in HRE at the preservice level is crucial in establishing a human rights culture that would eventually expand into larger circles of the society.
KeywordsHuman rights Human rights pedagogy Preservice teachers in India
- Carspecken, P. F. (1996). Critical ethnography in educational research: A theoretical and practical guide. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Carspecken, P. F., & Apple, M. (1992). Critical qualitative research: Theory, methodology, and practice. In M. D. LeCompte, W. L. Millroy & J. Preissle (Eds.), The handbook of qualitative research in education (pp. 507–554). San Diego, CA: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe [Council of Europe, Committee of Ministers] (1985). On teaching and learning about human rights education in schools. https://rm.coe.int/16804c2d48.
- Freire, P. (1994). Pedagogy of hope: Reliving pedagogy of the oppressed. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1997). Education for critical consciousness. New York, NY: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1998). Pedagogy of the oppressed (M. B. Ramos, Trans.), revised ed. New York, NY: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Jennings, T. (2006). Human rights education standards for teachers and teacher education. Teacher Education, 17(4), 287–298.Google Scholar
- Mirza, N. B. (2000). Education and human rights. In H. Talesra, N. Pancholy, & M. L. Nagda (Eds.), Human rights education: A global perspective (pp. 218–229). New Delhi: Regency.Google Scholar
- NCF [National Curriculum Framework] (2005). New Delhi: National Council of Educational Research and Training. http://www.ncert.nic.in/rightside/links/nc_framework.html.
- NCFTE [National Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education] (2009). New Delhi: National Council of Teacher Education. http://ncte-india.org/ncte_new/pdf/NCFTE_2010.pdf.
- Reardon, B. (1994). Human rights education: An essential teacher preparation. Teacher Education Quarterly, 21(4), 79–91.Google Scholar
- Tibbitts, F. (1994). Human rights education in schools in the post-communist context. European Journal of Education, 29(4).Google Scholar
- Tiwari, A. (2004). Human rights education: Role of teaching and training institutions. The Indian Journal of Social Work, 65(3), 423–445.Google Scholar
- UN [United Nations] (2011). United Nations declaration on human rights education and training. http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Education/Training/Compilation/Pages/UnitedNationsDeclarationonHumanRightsEducationandTraining(2011).aspx.