Influence of ice compression on components of the velocity of motion of liquid under the ice cover in a traveling periodic flexural gravity wave of finite amplitude
- 21 Downloads
By the method of multiple scales, we obtain (to within the third order of smallness) the asymptotic expansions for the components of the velocity of motion of liquid under a floating ice cover in the process of propagation of periodic surface flexural gravity waves of finite amplitude under the conditions of ice compression. We study the dependences of the distributions of the velocity components along the wave profile on the compressive forces and the parameters of the initial harmonic. It is shown that the amplitude values of the velocity components decrease and the phase shift of oscillations increases as the compressiveforces increase.
Keywordswaves of finite amplitude flexural gravity waves motion of liquid particles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. G. Stokes, “On the theory of oscillatory waves,” Math. Phys. Pap. Cambr. Univ. Press, 1, 197–229 (1847).Google Scholar
- 2.L. N. Sretenskii, Theory of Wave Motions in Liquids [in Russian], ONTI, Moscow–Leningrad (1936).Google Scholar
- 3.S. V. Nesterov, “Excitation of waves of finite amplitude by traveling pressure systems,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Fiz. Atmosf. Okean., 4, No. 10, 1123–1125 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.J. N. Newman, Marine Hydrodynamics, MIT Press, Cambridge (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. Z. Aleshkov, Currents and Waves in the Ocean [in Russian], St.-Petersburg Univ., St. Petersburg (1996).Google Scholar
- 7.A. E. Bukatov and A. A. Bukatov, “Propagation of the surface waves of finite amplitude in a basin with floating broken ice,” Int. J. Offshore Polar Eng., 9, No. 3, 161–166 (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.Ant. A. Bukatov and And. A. Bukatov, “Velocities of motion of liquid particles under a floating ice cover in the process of propagation of periodic waves of finite amplitude,” Morsk. Gidrofiz. Zh., No. 1, 15–24 (2011).Google Scholar
- 9.D. E. Kheisin, Dynamics of Ice Cover [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1967).Google Scholar
- 10.A. E. Bukatov, “Influence of longitudinal compression on the nonsteady oscillations of an elastic plate floating on the surface of liquid,” Prikl. Mekh., 17, No. 1, 93–98 (1981).Google Scholar
- 11.A. E. Bukatov and A. A. Bukatov, “Waves of finite amplitude in a homogeneous liquid with floating elastic plate,” Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., 50, No. 5, 67–74 (2009).Google Scholar
- 12.A. H. Nayfeh, Perturbation Methods, Wiley, New York (1973).Google Scholar