Novel multi-band DFT-spread OFDM-PON systems based on intensity modulation and direct detection for cloud computing
- 182 Downloads
Passive optical network (PON) has become a preferable access technique for cloud computing due to its elastic bandwidth capacity and transmission stability. In particular, the orthogonal frequency division multiplexing PON based on intensity modulation and direct detection (IM/DD OFDM-PON) has gained extensive attention since it is a cost- and spectral-efficient system, while for the traditional IM/DD OFDM-PON, the use of OFDM could lead to the high peak-to-average power ratio (PAPR), and it is impossible to satisfy the different QoS degrees required by ONUs under a cloud environment. Thus in this paper, we design a novel multi-band discrete Fourier transform (DFT)-spread IM/DD OFDM-PON. The DFT-spread is utilized to reduce the PAPR; meanwhile, a multi-band power allocation and bit loading are achieved to satisfy the different degrees of QoS requirement owned by ONUs. The simulation results show that our system has the better performance of PAPR reduction compared with the traditional IM/DD OFDM-PON; meanwhile, the different QoS degrees of all ONUs are guaranteed.
KeywordsMulti-band DFT-spread IM/DD OFDM-PON PAPR reduction QoS Cloud computing
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61401082, 61471109, 61172051), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (N140405005, N130817002, N130404002, N120804002), the Foundation of the Education Department of Liaoning Province (L2014089), the Liaoning BaiQianWan Talents Program, and the National High-Level Personnel Special Support Program for Youth Top-Notch Talent.
- 15.Kanonakis, K., Giacoumidis, E., Tomkos, I.: Physical-layer-aware MAC schemes for dynamic subcarrier assignment in OFDMA-PON networks. IEEE/OSA J. Lightw. Technol. 30(12), 1915–1923 (2012)Google Scholar
- 20.Peng, L., Helard, M., Haese, S.: Optimization of multi-band DFT-Spread DMT system for polymer optical fiber communications. In: Proceedings of ICC, pp. 3862–3867 (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Kumar, P.: Performance evaluation of DFT-spread OFDM and DCT-spread OFDM for underwater acoustic communication. In: Proceedings of VTC Fall, 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 23.Cano, I.N., Escayola, X., Schindler, P.C., Santos, M.C., Polo, V., Leuthold, J., Tomkos, I., Prat, J.: Experimental demonstration of a statistical OFDM-PON with multiband ONUs and elastic bandwidth allocation. IEEE/OSA J. Lightw. Technol. 7(1), A73–A79 (2015)Google Scholar
- 24.Cano, I.N., Escayola, X., Schindler, P., Santos, M. C., Polo, V., Leuthold, J.: J. Prat. Experimental demonstration of multi-band upstream in statistical OFDM-PONs and comparison with digital subcarrier assignment. In: Proceedings of OFC, pp. 1–3 (2014)Google Scholar