Buffering-deflection tradeoffs in optical burst switching
- 68 Downloads
A very important issue in optical burst switching (OBS) networks is the excessive burst drop when no suitable network resources are found during path reservation. In this study, a network scenario is evaluated in which AWG-based optical nodes are used as burst router nodes within the optical network. The two classical solutions to solve the burst contentions on the channels outgoing from the node are considered, that is, either based on buffering within the node, or by exploiting deflection routing. A performance evaluation is carried out to evaluate and compare these solutions for different network topologies with different node and traffic parameters. Our main contribution is to set numerical tradeoffs between burst deflection through the network and buffering in the node, so that a guidance in optical network design is provided where node buffering is inherently technologically limited.
KeywordsOptical burst switching Deflection routing Arrayed waveguide grating Buffering-deflection tradeoff
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Qiao C., Yoo M.: Optical burst switching: a new paradigm for an optical internet. JHSN 8, 69–84 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Kan, C., Balt, H., Michel, S.: Information model of an optical burst edge switch. In: Proc. of ICC, 2002Google Scholar
- 4.Yoo, M., Qiao, C.: Just-Enough-Time (JET): a high speed protocol for bursty traffic in optical networks. In: Proc. IEEE/LEOS Tech. for a Global Info Infrastructure, Aug. 1997, pp. 26–27Google Scholar
- 5.Lu, X., Mark, B: Analitycal modeling of optical burst switching with fiber delay lines. In: Proc. of IEEE MASCOTS, 2002Google Scholar
- 8.Hsu, C.-F., Liu, T.-L., Huang, N.-F.: Performance analysis of deflection routing in optical burst-switched networks. In: Proc. of INFOCOM, 2002, pp. 66–73Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, Y., Wu, H., Xu, D., Qiao, C.: Performance analysis of optical burst switched node with deflection routing. In: Proc. of ICC, May 2003, pp. 1355–1359Google Scholar
- 10.Zalesky, A., Vu, H.L., Rosberg, Z., Wong, E., Zukerman, M.: Modelling and performance evaluation of optical burst switched networks with deflection routing and wavelength reservation. In: Proc. of INFOCOM, March 2004, pp. 1864–1871Google Scholar
- 13.Ngo, S.-H., Jiang, X., Horiguchi, S.: Hybrid deflection and retransmission routing schemes for OBS networks. In: Proc. of HPSR 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Aste, M., Pattavina, A.: Performance of optical packet switching nodes in IP transport networks. In: Proc. of Broadnets, 2004Google Scholar