A Node-Level Blocking Probability Analysis for WRONs
This work presents the blocking performance of a single node with (full or limited) wavelength conversion in wavelength routed optical networks (WRON) based on the theory of probability. A blocking probability model is proposed. Particularly, we pay more attention to investigate wavelength routing node performance improvement by using the more feasible case of limited wavelength conversion. Based on our analytical model, we calculate the blocking probability for a single wavelength routing node and then make a simulation to validate it. It is shown that a node with low conversion degrees having a small number of fiber link ports and a large number of wavelengths per link is a more realistic choice.
Keywordsblocking probability wavelength converter wavelength routed optical networks (WRON) wavelength router optical switching
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- .Mayer M., Architecture for automatic switched optical networks (ASON), ITU G.8080/Y.1304 V1.0 (2001) October.Google Scholar
- .Green, P. Jan. 2001Progress in optical networkingIEEE Communications Magazine3910811096Google Scholar
- .Qin, X.D., Yang, Y.Y. July/August 2003Optical cross connect architectures for wavelength routed WDM networksOptical Networks Magazine45062Google Scholar
- .Yates J., Lacey J., Everitt D., Summerfield M., Limited-range wavelength translation in all-optical networks, in Proceeding IEEE INFOCOM’96 (San Francisco, CA, USA, March 1996) 3, 954–961.Google Scholar
- .Tripathi, T., Sivarajan, K.N. Oct. 2000Computing approximate blocking probabilities in wavelength routed all-optical networks with limited-range wavelength conversionIEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications1821232129Google Scholar
- .Iness, J., Mukherjee, B. Nov.1999Sparse wavelength conversion in wavelength-routed WDM optical networksPhotonic Network Communications1183205Google Scholar
- .Qin X.D., Yang Y.Y., Blocking probability in WDM switching networks with limited wavelength conversion, Proceedings 11th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, (Miami, FL, USA, Oct. 2002), pp. 454–459.Google Scholar