Structure of Si3N4–Y2O3–Al2O3 and TiN–AlN Composites Consolidated in Microwaves (2.45 GHz)
- 59 Downloads
The consolidation of nanocomposite powders of refractory nitrides (TiN, Si3N4, AlN) in the microwave field (2.45 GHz) is studied. The structurization of sintered samples with aspect ratio l/h >>5 is examined. The structure and properties of the composites consolidated by microwave and conventional (resistance) heating are compared. The use of microwaves for sintering of bulk parts from Si3N4–Y2O3–Al2O3 and TiN–AlN nanocomposites with a great l/h ratio revealed a number of issues in producing homogenous nanoceramics.
Keywordsmicrowave sintering TiN Si3N4 AlN structure
The author is grateful to M. Herrmann and K. Sempf (IKTS, Dresden) for assistance in microstructural analysis and X-ray diffraction of sintered samples, to V. G. Kolesnichenko and L. V. Solyanik (IPMS) for assistance in the experiment, and to A. V. Ragulya (IMPS) for scientific discussion of experimental results.
- 1.D. E. Clark, D. C. Folz, C. Folgar, et al., Microwave Solutions for Ceramic Engineers, American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio (2005), p. 494.Google Scholar
- 2.Microwave Processing of Materials, Committee on Microwave Processing of Materials: An Emerging Industrial Technology, Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems, National Academies Press, Washington D.C. (1994), p. 150.Google Scholar
- 3.S. A. Freeman, D. E. Clark, et al., Microwaves: Theory and Applications in Materials Processing II, American Ceramic Society, Westerville, Ohio (1993), p. 213.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Agrawal, “Latest global developments in microwave materials processing,” Mat. Res. Innovations, No. 14, 3–8 (2010).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Chockalingam and V. R. W. Amarakoon, “2.45 GHz microwave sintered Si3N4–ZrO2 composites,” J. Ceram. Soc. Jap., No. 6, 700–705 (2008).Google Scholar
- 6.O. I. Getman, V. V. Holoptsev, V. V. Panichkina, et al., “Mechanical properties of microwave sintered Si3N4-based ceramics,” Sci. Sintering, No. 34, 223–229 (2002).Google Scholar
- 8.O. B. Zgalat-Lozynskyy, A. V. Ragulya, and M. Herrmann, “Nonisothermal sintering of titanium nitride nanopowders,” Funct. Mater., 8, No. 1, 173–178 (2001).Google Scholar