Features of high-temperature oxidation in air of silver and alloy Ag-Cu, and adsorption of oxygen on silver
Thermodynamic calculations are provided for equilibrium in the system Ag-O2. Kinetics of high-temperature (up to 900 °C) oxidation in air of plates made from pure silver (99.99 mass% Ag) and jewellery alloy 84 at.% Ag-16 at.% Cu are studied by nonisothermal thermogravimetry, and differential and petrographic analyses of the reaction products. Mechanisms are established for the corresponding oxidation reactions confirming the absence of chemical reaction for pure silver with oxygen at T > 422 K. The Wagner theory for oxidation of alloys containing precious metals is confirmed by the results. The temperature ranges are determined for van de Waals adsorption and chemisorption of oxygen at the surface of very pure silver powder with a specific surface area S = 0.4 m2/g.
Keywordssilver silver-copper alloy high-temperature oxidation adsorption process mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Pascal, Nouveau Traite de Chimie Minerale, 3, 477–486 (1957).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Benaire, Oxidation of Metals [Russian translation], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.E. Menzel and C. Menzel-Kopp, Naturrforschung, 13 A, 985–988 (1958).Google Scholar
- 6.P. D. Dankov, U. A. Azanov, and N. A. Shishakov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otdel. Khim. Nauk., No. 2, 225–228 (1961).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Malyshev and D. V. Rumyantsev, Silver [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.G. B. Sinyarev, N. A. Vatolin, B. T. Trusov, and G. K. Moiseev, Use of a Computer for Thermodynamic Calculations of Metallurgical Processes [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.I. N. Frantsevich, V. A. Lavrenko, A. N. Pilyankevich, and A. I. Vol’fson, Anodic Oxide Coatings on Light Alloys [in Russian], Nauk. Dumka, Kiev (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Roberts and C. Mackey, Metal-Gas Interface Chemistry [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1981).Google Scholar
- 11.Ya. De Bur, Dynamic Nature of Adsorption [Russian translation], Izd. Inostr. Lit., Moscow (1962).Google Scholar