Phase diagram of the Al2O3 - ZrO2 - Nd2O3 system. III. Solidus surface and phase equilibria in alloy crystallization
A projection has been constructed for the solidus surface in the Al2O3 - ZrO2 - Nd2O3 phase diagram on the plane of the concentration triangle, which consists of six isothermal three-phase fields corresponding to two nonvariant equilibria of eutectic type and four nonvariant ones of peritectic type, together with five lineated surfaces for the end of crystallization of the monovariant eutectics. The highest solidus temperature in the system is 2710°C, the melting point of pure ZrO2 , and the least is 1675°C, the temperature of the ternary eutectic L ⇔ β + F + NA. No ternary phases and no appreciable regions of solid solutions based on their components and the binary compounds have been observed. Data on the adjoining binary systems, liquidus and solidus surfaces allowed for construction of the phase equilibrium diagram together with a reaction scheme for the equilibrium crystallization of alloys in the Al2O3 - ZrO2 - Nd2O3 system.
Keywordsceramics zirconium dioxide aluminum oxide neodymium oxide interaction solidus surface phase equilibrium diagram phase diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. M. Lakiza, V. P. Red’ko, and L. M. Lopato, “Phase diagram of the Al2O3-ZrO2-Nd2O3 system. I. Isothermal sections of the phase diagram for the Al2O3-ZrO2-Nd2O3 system at 1250 and 1650°C,” Poroshk. Metall., Nos. 7–8, 77–86 (2003).Google Scholar
- 2.S. M. Lakiza, Z. O. Zaitseva, and L. M. Lopato, “Phase diagram of the Al2O3-ZrO2-Nd2O3 system. II. Liquidus surface in the phase diagram for the Al2O3-ZrO2-Nd2O3 system,” Poroshk. Metall., Nos. 1–2, 53–59 (2004).Google Scholar
- 3.N. A. Toropov and T. P. Kiseleva, “The neodymium oxide — alumina binary system and some data on the neodymium oxide — alumina — silica system,” Zhurn. Neorgan. Khimii, 6, No.10, 2353–2358 (1961).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Mizuno, T. Yamada, and T. Nogushi, “Phase diagram of the system Al2O3-Nd2O3 at high temperatures,” J. Ceram. Soc. Jap., 85, No.2, 90–95 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.J. P. Coutures, “The Al2O3-Nd2O3 phase diagram,” J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., 68, No.3, 103–107 (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Rouanet, “Contribution a l’etude des systemes zircone — oxydes des lanthanides au voisinage de la fusion,” Rev. Int. Hautes Temp. Refract., 8, No.2, 161–180 (1977).Google Scholar