An AFLP, SRAP, and SSR Genetic Linkage Map and Identification of QTLs for Fruit Traits in Pear (Pyrus L.)
- 1.2k Downloads
In this study, a population of 97 F1 seedlings from a cross between the interspecific hybrid (European × Chinese species) pear ‘Bayuehong’ (BYH) and the Chinese pear ‘Dangshansuli’ (DS) was used for establishing linkage maps and for quantitative trait loci (QTL) discovery. Using amplified length polymorphism (AFLP), simple sequence repeat (SSR), and sequence-related amplified polymorphism (SRAP) markers, along with the S locus for self-incompatibility, two parental linkage maps were constructed. The map of BYH consisted of 214 markers (143 AFLPs, 64 SRAPs, 6 SSRs, and S) mapped on all 17 linkage groups of the pear genome with a total length of 1,352.7 cM. The map of DS was comprised of 122 markers (83 AFLPs, 37 SRAPs, 1 SSR, and S) distributed along all 17 linkage groups and covering 1,044.3 cM. Based on phenotypic data from two successive years (2007 and 2008) for six fruit traits, including fruit weight (in grams), fruit diameter (in centimeters), fruit length (in centimeters), soluble solids content, fruit shape index, and maturity date, 19 QTLs were detected. These QTLs were mapped on LG 01, LG 02, LG 05, LG 07, LG 08, LG 10 of the BYH map and LG 02, LG 06, LG 15 of the DS map and accounting for 7.1 to 22.0 % of the observed phenotypic variance. Four QTLs, Pfi-8-1 for fruit shape index, Pfm-8-1 for fruit maturity date, Pfw-7-1 and Pfw-8-1 for fruit weight (in grams), with LOD scores ≥3.5, were deemed as major genes. QTLs Pfi-8-1, Pfm-8-1, and Pfw-8-1 were co-localized on LG 08 of the BYH map, along with Pfl-8-1 for fruit length. It was observed that on LG 07 of the BYH map, QTLs for fruit length, fruit shape index, and fruit weight were clustered. When QTL locations from both years were compared, Pfl-7-1 and Pfl-7-2 for fruit length, Pfi-2-1 and Pfi-2-2 for fruit shape index, and Pfm-8-1 and Pfm-8-2 for fruit maturity date were stably mapped onto the same linkage groups, respectively. Moreover, Pfm-8-1 and Pfm-8-2 were also located within the same region of LG 08 of the BYH map.
KeywordsPear Molecular markers Linkage map Fruit traits QTL
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31171928, 31230063), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (KYZ201146), and the Earmarked Fund for China Agriculture Research System (CARS-29).
- King G, Maliepaard C, Lynn J, Alston F, Durel C, Evans K, Griffon B, Laurens F, Manganaris A, Schrevens E (2000) Quantitative genetic analysis and comparison of physical and sensory descriptors relating to fruit flesh firmness in apple (Malus pumila Mill.). Theor Appl Genet 100:1074–1084CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Martínez-García PJ, Parfitt DE, Ogundiwin EA, Fass J, Chan HM, Ahmad R, Lurie S, Dandekar A, Gradziel TM, Crisosto CH (2012) High density SNP mapping and QTL analysis for fruit quality characteristics in peach (Prunus persica L). Tree Genet Genomes. doi: 10.1007/s11295-012-0522-7
- Socquet-Juglard D, Christen D, Devènes G, Gessler C, Duffy B, Patocchi A (2012) Mapping architectural, phenological, and fruit quality QTLs in apricot. Plant Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11105-012-0511-x
- Van Oijen J, Voorrips R (2001) Joinmap Version 3.0, software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Plant Research International, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Van Ooijen J (2004) MapQTL® 5. Software for the mapping of quantitative trait loci in experimental populations. Kyazma BV, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Vos P, Hogers R, Bleeker M, Reijans M, van de Lee T, Hornes M, Frijters A, Pot J, Peleman J, Kuiper M, Zabeau M (1995) AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucl Ac Res 23:4407–4414Google Scholar
- Wu J, Wang Z, Shi Z, Zhang S, Ming R, Zhu S, Khan MA, Tao S, Korban SS, Wang H, Chen NJ, Nishio T, Xu X, Cong L, Qi K, Huang X, Wang Y, Zhao X, Wu J, Deng C, Gou C, Zhou W, Yin H, Qin G, Sha Y, Tao Y, Chen H, Yang Y, Song Y, Zhan D, Wang J, Li L, Dai M, Gu C, Wang Y, Shi D, Wang X, Zhang H, Zeng L, Zheng D, Wang C, Chen M, Wang G, Xie L, Sovero V, Sha S, Huang W, Zhang S, Zhang M, Sun J, Xu L, Li Y, Liu X, Li Q, Shen J, Wang J, Paull RE, Bennetzen JL, Wang J, Zhang S (2012) The genome of pear (Pyrus bretschneideri Rehd.). Genome Res. doi: 10.1101/gr.144311.112
- Zorrilla-Fontanesi Y, Cabeza A, Dominguez P, Medina JJ, Valpuesta V, Denoyes-Rothan B, Sanchez-Sevilla JF, Amaya I (2011) Quantitative trait loci and underlying candidate genes controlling agronomical and fruit quality traits in octoploid strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa). Theor Appl Genet 123:755–778PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar