Identification and Characterization of PpLFL, a Homolog of FLORICAULA/LEAFY in Peach (Prunus persica)
- 327 Downloads
A LEAFY/FLORICAULA (LFY/FLO) homolog PpLFL (P runus p ersica L EAFY/ F LORICAULA L ike) gene was isolated from axillary buds of peach (Prunus persica (L.) Batsch. cv. Bayuecui) during flower induction period. The open reading frame of PpLFL spanned 1,248 bp, encoding a putative protein of 415 amino acid residues, which was with high similarity (50.48 %–84.69 %) to other FLO/LFY inferred proteins from different species. The spatial expression patterns of PpLFL were detected in axillary buds during the periods of flower induction by using immunohistolocalisation. The results showed that PpLFL gene was mainly expressed during flower induction time, and also in leaf and petal promordia at the SAM. For further functional analysis, the PpLFL was constitutively expressed in the Arabidopsis lfy mutant background, and the results showed that overexpression of PpLFL under the control of CaMV 35S promoter can accelerate flowering and give rise to normal flower organs. Our results suggest that PpLFL might play an important role in flower induction, and could act as a functional flower meristem identity gene in peach.
KeywordsFlowering Fruit tree Peach Immunohistolocalisation LEAFY/FLORICAULA Meristem identity gene
The authors would like to thank Dr Y. Jing (China Agricultural University) for the generous gifts of plasmids pGEX-4T-1 and pCAMBIA 1301. The research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant no. 31171938), the Special fund for Agro-Scientific Research in the Public Interest (grant no. 201003021).
- An L-J, Li T-H (2008) Cloning, expression and production of polyclonal antibodies of peach PpLFY. Acta Hort Sinica 35:1573–1580 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Baid W-V, Ballard R-E, Rajapkse S, Abbott A-G (1996) Progress in Prunus mapping and application of molecular markers to germplasm improvement. Hortscience 31:1099–1106Google Scholar
- Chang S-J, Puryear J, Cairney J (1993) A simple and efficient method for isolating RNA from pine trees. Plant Mol Biol Rep 11:13–16Google Scholar
- Ginannino D-G, Cozza M-R, Bruno L, Testone G, Ticconi C, Frugis G, Bitonti M-B, Innocenti A-M, Mariotti D (2003) Isolation and characterization of a maintenance DNA-methyltransferase gene from peach (Prunus persica [L.] Batsch): transcript localization in vegetative and reproductive meristem of triple buds. J Exp Bot 54:2623–2633CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li Z-T (1993) Flower bud formation. In: Shen J (ed) Agricultural Encyclopedia of China. Agricultural Press, Beijing, pp 161–163Google Scholar
- Rottmann W-H, Meilan R, Sheppard L-A, Brunner A-M, Skinner J-S, Ma C-P, Cheng S-P, Jouanin L, Pilateand G, Strauss S-H (2000) Diverse effects of overexpression of LEAFY and PTLF, a poplar (Populus) homolog of LEAFY/FLORICAULA, in transgenic poplar and Arabidopsis. Plant J 22:235–245PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang Z-J, Huang J-Q, Huang Y-J, Chen F-F, Zheng B-S (2011) Cloning and Characterization of a homologue of the FLORICAULA/LEAFY gene in hickory (Carya cathayensis Sarg). Plant Mol Biol Rep (online first)Google Scholar