Enhancing Taxol Biosynthesis by Overexpressing a 9-Cis-Epoxycarotenoid Dioxygenase Gene in Transgenic Cell Lines of Taxus chinensis
Plant secondary metabolites constitute are a wide range of compounds whose biosynthesis takes place in response to biotic and abiotic stresses. The phytohormone abscisic acid (ABA) acts as an important signaling molecule that regulates plant response to various stresses. Moreover, 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase (NCED) is one of the key enzymes in the ABA biosynthesis pathway in higher plants. In this study, a new NCED gene from Taxus chinensis, the TcNCED1, was overexpressed in transgenic T. chinensis cells, resulting in a maximum of 48 % more accumulation of ABA and a 2.7-fold increase of taxol production compared to the untransformed cells, respectively. These results indicate that overexpression of TcNCED1 can significantly increase the ABA and taxol level in T. chinensis cells, which probably provides an alternative approach in metabolic engineering to improve the yield of taxol in T. chinensis cells through genetic manipulation of the related genes in the ABA biosynthetic pathway.
KeywordsTaxus chinensis TcNCED1 ABA Taxol
- Real-time Q-PCR
Real-time quantitative PCR
Cauliflower mosaic virus
High-performance liquid chromatography
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant 20776058, 200906036), the Graduate Practice Base of Innovation and Enterprise fund (HF09132011170), and the National “11th Five-Year Plan” to Support Science and Technology Project of China (2008BAI63B04).
- Iuchi S, Kobayashi M, Taji T, Naramoto M, Seki M, Kato T, Tabata S, Kakubari Y, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K, Shinozaki K (2001) Regulation of drought tolerance by gene manipulation of 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase, a key enzyme in abscisic acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant J 27:325–333PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Karuppusamy S (2009) A review on trends in production of secondary metabolites from higher plants by in vitro tissue, organ and cell cultures. J Med Plants Res 3(13):1222–1239Google Scholar
- Namdeo AG (2007) Plant cell elicitation for production of secondary metabolites: a review. Phcog Rev 1(1):69–79Google Scholar
- Vongpaseuth K, Nims E, St AM, Walker EL, Roberts SC (2007) Development of a particle bombardment-mediated transient transformation system for Taxus spp. Cells in culture. Biotechnol Progr 23:1180–1185Google Scholar
- Zhang Y, Feng F, He CZ (2012) Downregulation of OsPK1 contributes to oxidative stress and the variations in ABA/GA balance in rice. Plant Mol Biol Report. doi: 10.1007/s11105-011-0386-2