Genomic Structure, Sub-Cellular Localization, and Promoter Analysis of the Gene Encoding Sorbitol-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase from Apple
Sorbitol is the primary photosynthetic product and the translocatable and storage carbohydrate in apple (Malus domestica) and other fruit tree species within the Rosaceae family. Sorbitol-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (S6PDH, EC 18.104.22.168) is the key enzyme in the biosynthesis of sorbitol. In this study, we isolated two full-length genomic sequences for S6PDH from “Gala” apple. The two sequences have same six exons and first two introns, but the sizes of their last three introns are different. The two sequences were mapped to the same loci on chromosome 10. Immunogold electron microscopy analysis demonstrates that the S6PDH is localized mainly in leaf cytosol and chloroplasts. We also isolated and analyzed the promoter region of S6PDH and constructed a series of promoter deletion derivatives with β-glucuronidase (GUS) gene to identify the upstream region of the S6PDH gene required for promoter activity. The GUS activity in Agrobacterium-mediated transient transformation of tobacco leaves reveals that the -1719 region is more important for gene expression contrasting with other regions in the S6PDH promoter. The promoter region can be induced by cold, dark, and abscisic acid treatment.
KeywordsApple Sorbitol-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (S6PDH) Genomic structure Sub-cellular localization Promoter analysis
This work was supported by the earmarked fund for China Agriculture Research System. The authors are grateful to Priscilla Licht for her help in revising our English composition.
- Bieleski RL (1982) Sugar alcohols. In: Loewus F, Tanner W (eds) Encyclopedia of plant physiology new series, Vol. 13A. Springer, Berlin, pp 158–192Google Scholar
- Kanamarua N, Itob Y, Komorib S, Saitob M, Katob H, Takahashib S, Omurac M, Soejimab J, Shiratakea K, Yamadaa K, Yamaki S (2004) Transgenic apple transformed by sorbitol-6-phosphate dehydrogenase cDNA: switch between sorbitol and sucrose supply due to its gene expression. Plant Sci 167(1):55–61CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kobashi K, Gemma H, Iwahori S (2000) Abscisic acid content and sugar metabolism of peaches grown under water stress. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 125:425–428Google Scholar
- Li F, Lei HJ, Zhao XJ, Tian RR, Li TH (2011) Characterization of three sorbitol transporter genes in micropropagated apple plants grown under drought stress. Plant Mol Biol Report. doi: 10.1007/s11105-011-0323-4
- Pastuglia M, Roby D, Dumas C, Cock JM (1997) Rapid induction by wounding and bacterial infection of an S gene family receptor-like kinase in Brassica oleracea. Plant Cell 9:1–13Google Scholar
- Soria-Guerra RE, Rosales-Mendoza S, Gasic K, Wisniewski ME, Band M, Korban SS (2011) Gene expression is highly regulated in early developing fruit of apple. Plant Mol Biol Report. doi: 10.1007/s11105-011-0300-y
- Velasco R, Zharkikh A, Affourtit J, Dhingra A, Cestaro A, Kalyanaraman A, Fontana P, Bhatnagar SK, Troggio M, Pruss D, Salvi S, Pindo M, Baldi P, Castelletti S, Cavaiuolo M, Coppola G, Costa F, Cova V, Dal Ri A, Goremykin V, Komjanc M, Longhi S, Magnago P, Malacarne G, Malnoy M, Micheletti D, Moretto M, Perazzolli M, Si-Ammour A, Vezzulli S, Zini E, Eldredge G, Fitzgerald LM, Gutin N, Lanchbury J, Macalma T, Mitchell JT, Reid J, Wardell B, Kodira C, Chen Z, Desany B, Niazi F, Palmer M, Koepke T, Jiwan D, Schaeffer S, Krishnan V, Wu C, Chu VT, King ST, Vick J, Tao Q, Mraz A, Stormo A, Stormo K, Bogden R, Ederle D, Stella A, Vecchietti A, Kater MM, Masiero S, Lasserre P, Lespinasse Y, Allan AC, Bus V, Chagne D, Crowhurst RN, Gleave AP, Lavezzo E, Fawcett JA, Proost S, Rouze P, Sterck L, Toppo S, Lazzari B, Hellens RP, Durel CE, Gutin A, Bumgarner RE, Gardiner SE, Skolnick M, Egholm M, Van de Peer Y, Salamini F, Viola R (2010) The genome of the domesticated apple (Malus x domestica Borkh.). Nat Genet 42:833–839PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yamaki S (1980) Property of sorbitol-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and its connection with sorbitol accumulation in apple. Hortic Sci 15:268–270Google Scholar
- Yamaki S (1981) Subcellular localization of NADP-dependent sorbitol-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in protoplast from apple cotyledons. Plant Cell Physiol 22:359–367Google Scholar
- Yamaki S (1982) Distribution of sorbitol, neutral sugars, free amino acids, malic acid and some hydrolytic enzymes in vacuoles of apple cotyledons. Plant Cell Physiol 23:881–889Google Scholar
- Zhang J, Yao Y, Streeter JG, Ferree DC (2010) Influence of soil drought stress on photosynthesis, carbohydrates and the nitrogen and phosphorus absorb in different section of leaves and stem of Fugi/M.9EML, a young apple seedling. Afric. J Biotechnol 9(33):5320–5325Google Scholar
- Zhang X, Zhen JB, Li ZH, Kang DM, Yang YM, Kong J, Hua JP (2011) Expression profile of early responsive genes under salt stress in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Plant Mol Biol Report. doi: 10.1007/s11105-010-0269-y