Arabidopsis AtNek2 Kinase is Essential and Associates with Microtubules
- 174 Downloads
NIMA-related kinases (Neks) are a large family of serine/threonine kinases that have been linked to cell-cycle regulation in fungi and mammals. Large families of NIMA-related kinases are also conserved in plants. We demonstrate that AtNek2, a member of the NIMA-related kinase family in Arabidopsis, is a gene fundamental for plant survival and its down-regulation has a pleiotropic effect on leaf cell morphogenesis and plant development. Intracellular localization of YFP::AtNek2 showed that AtNek2 proteins co-distribute with the microtubular cytoskeleton. As a microtubular-associated protein AtNek2 might influence the dynamics of microtubules and consequently cell morphogenesis. This is supported by the observation that misexpression of AtNek2 in RNAi mutants leads to a distorted organization of cells.
KeywordsNIMA kinase Microtubules Histone H3 Cell morphogenesis
We are grateful to O. Weiß und K. Kumke for technical assistance. This work was supported by the Land Sachsen-Anhalt and the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, SFB 648).
- Alonso JM, Stepanova AN, Leisse TJ, Kim CJ, Chen H, Shinn P, Stevenson DK, Zimmerman J, Barajas P, Cheuk R, Gadrinab C, Heller C, Jeske A, Koesema E, Meyers CC, Parker H, Prednis L, Ansari Y, Choy N, Deen H, Geralt M, Hazari N, Hom E, Karnes M, Mulholland C, Ndubaku R, Schmidt I, Guzman P, Aguilar-Henonin L, Schmid M, Weigel D, Carter DE, Marchand T, Risseeuw E, Brogden D, Zeko A, Crosby WL, Berry CC, Ecker JR (2003) Genome-wide insertional mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 301:653–657PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Boisnard-Lorig C, Colon-Carmona A, Bauch W, Hodge S, Doerner P, Bancharel E, Dumas C, Haseloff J, Berger F (2001) Dynamic analyses of the expression of the HISTONE: YFP fusion protein in arabidopsis show that syncytial endosperm is divided in mitotic domains. Plant Cell 13:495–509PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chan MM, Triemer RE, Fong D (1991) Effect of the anti-microtubule drug oryzalin on growth and differentiation of the parasitic protozoan Leishmania mexicana. Differ Res Biol Divers 46:15–21Google Scholar
- Hilson PAJ, Altmann T, Aubourg S, Avon A, Beynon J, Bhalerao RP, Bitton F, Caboche M, Cannoot B, Chardakov V, Cognet-Holliger C, Colot V, Crowe M, Darimont C, Durinck S, Eickhoff H, Falcon de Longevialle A, Farmer EE, Grant M, Kuiper MTR, Lehrach H, Léon C, Leyva A, Lundeberg J, Lurin C, Moreau Y, Nietfeld W, Paz-Ares J, Reymond P, Rouzé P, Sandberg G, Dolores Segura M, Serizet C, Tabrett A, Taconnat L, Thareau V, Van Hummelen P, Vercruysse S, Vuylsteke M, Weingartner M, Weisbeek PJ, Wirta V, Wittink FRA, Zabeau M, Small I (2004) Versatile gene-specific sequence tags for Arabidopsis functional genomics: transcript profiling and reverse genetics applications. Genome Res 14:2176–2189PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sakai T, Honing H, Nishioka M, Uehara Y, Takahashi M, Fujisawa N, Saji K, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Jones MA, Smirnoff N, Okada K, Wasteneys GO (2007) Armadillo repeat-containing kinesins and a NIMA-related kinase are required for epidermal-cell morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Plant J 53:157–171PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar