Genetic Diversity of Radish (Raphanus sativus L.) Germplasm Resources Revealed by AFLP and RAPD Markers
- 449 Downloads
Genetic diversity of 56 radish accessions, representing nearly all the typical types and origins of cultivated radish germplasms conserved in the National Mid-term Genebank for Vegetables of China, was assessed with amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) and random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers. A total of 72 and 128 polymorphic bands were generated by the 12 selected RAPD primers and eight AFLP primer combinations respectively. A moderate correlation with the value of r = 0.66 was observed between AFLP and RAPD markers. The total 200 polymorphic bands were integrated to assess the genetic diversity of 56 radish accessions. The Jaccard similarity coefficients between the accessions varied from 0.30 to 0.83 with the mean of 0.54. Cluster analysis classified the germplasms into three groups of var. hortensis Becker, var. sativus, and var. niger Kerner. The three-dimensions scatter plot of principle coordinate analysis (PCA) further divided var. hortensis Becker germplasms into two separate groups. The results indicated that the genetic diversity harbored among var. hortensis Becker germplasms was very abundant, which could be further exploited for radish genetic improvement.
KeywordsRaphanus sativus Genetic diversity AFLP RAPD
This work was funded by National Key Technology R&D Program of China (Grant No. 2006BAD13B06) and by Key Laboratory of Horticultural Crops Genetic Improvement, Ministry of Agriculture.
- Huh MK, Huh HW (2001) Genetic diversity of Raphanus sativus var. hortensis f. raphanistroides in Korea using AFLP markers. Kor J Genet 23:45–53Google Scholar
- Huh MK, Ohnishi O (2003) Genetic diversity and relationships among natural and cultivated populations of radish in Korea revealed by RAPD. Kor J Genet 25:119–125Google Scholar
- Institute of Vegetables and Flowers, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (1992) The catalog of vegetable germplasm resources in China. (Series one). Wanguo Academic Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Institute of Vegetables and Flowers, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (1998) The catalog of vegetable germplasm resources in China. (Series two). Meteorology Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Muminovic J, Merz A, Melchinger AE, Lubberstedt T (2005) Genetic structure and diversity among radish varieties as inferred from AFLP and ISSR analyses. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 130:79–87Google Scholar
- Rohlf FJ (2000) NTSYS-pc: numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system, version2.1. Exeter Software, Setauket, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Tang SQ, Bin XY, Peng YT, Zhou JY, Wang L, Zhong Y (2007) Assessment of genetic diversity in cultivars and wild accessions of Luohanguo (Siraitia grosvenorii [Swingle] A. M. Lu et Z. Y. Zhang), a species with edible and medicinal sweet fruits endemic to southern China, using RAPD and AFLP markers. Genet Resour Crop Evol 54:1053–1061CrossRefGoogle Scholar