Cloning and characterization of a novel dehydrin gene, SiDhn2, from Saussurea involucrata Kar. et Kir.
- 605 Downloads
Saussurea involucrata Kar. et Kir. is a hardy dicotyledonous plant capable of tolerating severe abiotic stress conditions. In a previous study, we created a cDNA library to determine what factors are associated with the cold acclimation response in S. involucrata. From this, a full-length cDNA of a dehydrin-like gene (SiDhn2) was obtained by RT-PCR. The SiDhn2 gene was characterized in this study. The full-length SiDhn2 cDNA comprised 693 bp containing an open reading frame of 345 bp specifying a protein of 115 amino acids. An alignment of the deduced amino acid sequence showed that SiDhn2 shared 55 % identity with two Brassica dehydrins. Agrobacterium tumefaciens was used to transform RD29A:SiDhn2 and 35S:SiDhn2 constructs into tobacco to investigate the germination and resistance to freezing and drought stress of transgenic plants. The RD29A:SiDhn2 transgenic plants showed greater resistance to freezing and drought stress than 35S:SiDhn2 transgenic plants or the wild-type. This study demonstrates that SiDhn2 confers cold hardiness and drought resistance, and may be a candidate resistance gene for genetic improvement of crops to increase stress resistance.
KeywordsSaussurea involucrata Kar. et Kir. SiDhn2 gene Cold resistance Drought resistance Tobacco plants
This paper resulted from the National Natural Sciences Foundation of China support program (no.31160049), (no. 31301058) and The specialized research fund for the doctoral program of higher education (20130072120025), Tongji University Young Talents Program (no. 1500219048).
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bai B, Zhang JW, Guo ZH, Chen Z-H (2004) Cloning cold-induced promoter rd29A and its responsibility to low temperature. J Gansu Agric Univ 39(3):249–254Google Scholar
- Bies-Etheve N, Gaubier-Comella P, Debures A, Lasserre E, Jobet E, Raynal M, Cooke R. and Delseny, M (2008) Inventory, evolution and expression profiling diversity of the LEA (late embryogenesis abundant) protein gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Mol Biol 67:107–124Google Scholar
- Brini F, Hanin M, Lumbreras V, Irarb S, Pagès M, Masmoudi K (2007) Functional characterization of DHN-5, a dehydrin showing a differential phosphorylation pattern in two Tunisian durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.) varieties with marked differences in salt and drought tolerance. Plant Sci 172:20–28CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen FJ, Yang YG, Zhao DX, Gui YL, Guo ZC (1999) Advances in studies of species, habitats distribution and chemical composition of snow lotuses (Saussurea) in China. Chin Bull Bot 16(5):561–566 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Chen XB, Zhang AP, Yao QH (2001) Research advances on gene engineering of plant for cold resistance. Lett Biotech 12(4):318–323Google Scholar
- Chen J-M, Yu X-P, Cheng J-A (2006) The application of chlorophyll fluorescence kinetics in the study of physiological responses of plants to environmental stresses. Acta Agric Zhejiangensis 18(1):51–55Google Scholar
- Fromont MA (1993) Rapid amplification of cDNA for generation of full-length cDNA ends: thermal RACE. Methods Enzymol 218:340–356Google Scholar
- Gao SH, Guo JP, Zhang GM, Wang LM, Wang LZ (1999) The impacts of low temperature on corn seedling physiological response. Q J Appl Meteorol 10(2):238–242Google Scholar
- Guo Y, Xiong L, Ishitani M, Zhu J-K (2002) An Arabidopsis mutation in translation elongation factor 2 causes superinduction of CBF/DREB1 transcription factor genes but blocks the induction of their downstream targets under low temperature. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:7786–7791PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Guo X-Y, Chen C, Wang Z, Wang H-L, Yu N, Wang A-Y, Zhu JB (2012) Obtained and cold resistance identification of tobacco plants transformed by siCOR of Saussurea involucrata Kar. et Kir. Acta Bot Boreal-Occident Sin 32(1):1–10Google Scholar
- He H-Y, Tian L-P, Xue L (2007) Research progress on physiology and biochemistry of plant cold hardiness. Tianjin Agric Sci 13(2):10–13Google Scholar
- Hu S-W, Yu C-Y, Wang S-Z (1999) Determination of winter hardiness and its correlated characters in Brassica napus. Chinese J Oil Crop Sci 21(2):33–37Google Scholar
- Li CW, Jia ZK, Lin L, Xu CM, Lu YH (2002) Study on drought resistance of some new alfalfa varieties. Agric Res Arid Areas 20(4):21–25Google Scholar
- Liu Q, Li J, Zhang GY, Zhao NM, K.Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K, K.Shinozaki K (1999) Isolation of cDNAs encoding two distinct transcription factors binding to DRE cis-acting element involved in cold- and drought-induced expression of Arabidopsis rd29A Gene. Tsinghua Sci Technol 4(3):256–260Google Scholar
- Narusaka Y, Nakashima K, Shinwari ZK, Sakuma Y, Furihata T, Abe H, Narusaka M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2003) Interaction between two cis-acting elements, ABRE and DRE, in ABA-dependent expression of Arabidopsis rd29A gene in response to dehydration and high-salinity stresses. Plant J 34:137–148PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tomashow MF, Artus N, Gilmour S, Stockinger E, Wilhelm K, Zarka D, Joseph RA, Uemura M, Steponkus PJ (1996) Function and regulation of Arabidopsis thaliana Cor (Cold-Regulated) genes. Plant Physiol 111:29–37Google Scholar
- Yan M-L, Li X-D, Lin Y-J, Wang L–L, Zhou L-Y (2007) Effects of drought during seedling stage on physiological traits, yield and quality of different peanut cultivars. Acta Agron Sin 33(1):113–119Google Scholar
- Zhang N, Si HJ, Wang D (2005) Cloning of rd29A gene promoter from Arabidopsis thaliana and its application in stress-resistance transgenic potato. Zuo Wu Xue Bao 31:159–164Google Scholar
- Zhu JB, Liu HL, Wang Z, Zhou P (2006) Construction of Full-length cDNA Library from the Saussurea involucrata Kar. et Kir. Laminae. Acta Agric Boreali-Occidentalis Sin 15(6):170–173Google Scholar