Designer promoter: an artwork of cis engineering
- 1.2k Downloads
Advances in systematic computational biology and rapid elucidation of synergistic interplay between cis and trans factors governing transcriptional control have facilitated functional annotation of gene networks. The generation of data through deconstructive, reconstructive and database assisted promoter studies, and its integration to principles of synthetic engineering has started an era of designer promoters. Exploration of natural promoter architecture and the concept of cis engineering have not only enabled fine tuning of single or multiple transgene expression in response to perturbations in the chemical, physiological and environmental stimuli but also provided researchers with a unique answer to various problems in crop improvement in the form of bidirectional promoters.
KeywordsDesigner promoter cis engineering cis elements Bidirectional promoters Inducible promoters Chemical and light switches Pathogen inducible promoters Gene silencing
RM is thankful to Department of science and Technolgy,Government of India for financial support under fast track scheme for young scientists.We are also thankful to the facilities provided by BITS, Pilani.
- Bhullar S, Chakravarthy S, Advani S, Datta S, Pental D, Burma PK (2003) Strategies for development of functionally equivalent promoters with minimum sequence homology for transgene expression in plants: cis-elements in a novel DNA context versus domain swapping. Plant Physiol 132:988–998PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bhullar S, Datta S, Burma PK (2010) Delayed trans-inactivation of synthetic domain A 35S promoters by “Tobacco 271 Locus” due to reduced sequence homology. Plant Mol Biol Rep 29:1–11Google Scholar
- Last DI, Bretteli RIS, Chamberlain DA, Chaudhary AM, Larkin PJ, Marsh EL, Peacock WJ, Dennis ES (1991) pEmu: an improved promoter for gene expression in cereal cells. Theo App Genet 81:581–588Google Scholar
- Matys V, Fricke E, Geffers R, ßling EG, Haubrock M, Hehl R, Hornischer K, Karas D, Kel AE, Kel-Margoulis OV, Kloos D-U, Land S, Lewicki-Potapov B, Michael H, Munch R, Reuter I, Rotert S, Saxel H, Scheer M, Thiele S, Wingender E (2003) TRANSFAC: transcriptional regulation, from patterns to profiles. Nucl Acids Res 31:374–378PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saha D, Kumar V, Bhat SR, Srinivasan R (2010) Characterization of upstream sequences of the LOJ gene leads to identification of a novel enhancer element conferring lateral organ junction-specific expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Mol Biol Rep 28. doi: 10.1007/s11105-010-0229-6
- Sawant S, Kiran K, Mehrotra R, Chaturvedi CP, Ansari SA, Singh P, Lodhi N, Tuli R (2005) A variety of synergistic and antagonistic interactions mediated by cis-acting DNA motifs regulate gene expression in plant cells and modulate stability of the transcription complex formed on a basal promoter. J Exp Bot 56:2345–2353PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Venter M, Botha FC (2010) Synthetic promoter engineering. Plant Develop Biol Biotechnol Persp 2(4):393–414Google Scholar