Pituitary abscess: Report of four cases and review of literature
- 292 Downloads
Pituitary abscess is a rare disorder and its presenting manfestations are non-specific therefore, the diagnosis is usually made either postoperatively or at postmortem. We describe four such cases seen over a period of 10 years. All the patients presented with fever, systemic signs of toxaemia and endocrine dysfunctions. Two of them had pre-existing pituitary pathology. A preoperative diagnosis of pituitary abscess was considered in all in view of characteristic MR findings. Three patients underwent transsphenoidal drainage of abscess, whereas the remaining one succumbed to sepsis and was diagnosed at necropsy. Offending organisms including Pseudomonas, Acinetobacter and Staphylococcus were isolated in three cases respectively. During follow-up for 4 years, 2 patients are doing well, one had a recurrent abscess after 1 year and required redo-surgery.
Key wordsHypopituitarism Pituitary abscess Toxaemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Simmonds M (1914) zur pathologic der hypophysis. Verh Disch Pathol 17:208–212Google Scholar
- 3.Wilson CB, Boggan JE (1985) Pituitary abscess. In: Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS (eds), Neurosurgery, McGraw-Hill Book Company, London 1967–1969Google Scholar
- 5.Ahmed YS, Bradey N, Halaka AN, Belchetz PE, Ironside JW (1989) Primary pituitary abscess: Surgical management and endocrine assessment in three cases. Br J Neurosung 3:409–414Google Scholar
- 6.Kimura H, Fukushima T, Matsuda T et al. (1994) Abscess formation in a Rathke’s cleft cyst No To Shinkee 46:392–395Google Scholar
- 11.Ramos - Gabatin A, Jordan RM (1981) Primary pituitary aspergillosis responding to transsphenoidal surgery and combined therapy with amphotericin B and 5- fluorocytosine J. Neurosurg 54:839–841Google Scholar
- 12.Maartens NF, Ellegala DB, Lopes MB (2001) Pituitary abscess. J Neurosurg 95:110–112Google Scholar
- 16.Hanel RA, Koerbel A, Prevedello DM, Moro MS, Araiyo JC (2002) Primary Pituitary abscess Arquivos de Neuro-psiquiatria. 60:1–7Google Scholar
- 19.Martines F, Scarano P, Chiappetta E et al (1996) Pituitary abscess. A case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg Sc 90:135–138Google Scholar