Cyclic Cushing's syndrome (CS) involves rhythmic fluctuations in ACTH secretion resulting in a cyclic variation of adrenal steroid production. In the majority of cases, cyclic CS is caused by an ACTH-secreting pituitary adenoma, but it can also be due to ectopic ACTH production or an adrenal adenoma. This condition should be strongly suspected in patients with symptoms or signs of hypercortisolism but normal cortisol levels and paradoxical responses to the dexamethasone test, that may reflect an increasing or decreasing endogenous hormone activity. Dynamic tests are best interpreted if they are performed during a sustained period of hypercortisolism. Sometimes, it is necessary to confirm the diagnosis over lengthy periods of observation. Responses to treatment must be closely monitored, interpreted and evaluated with caution because of the potential variations in steroidogenesis. An original case report of a cyclic Cushing's syndrome is presented in this review.
Key WordsCyclic Cushing's syndrome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bertagna X, Raux-Demay MC, Giulhaume B, Girard F, Luton JP. Cushing's disease. In: Melmed S, ed. The pituitary. 2nd edition Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2002:592–612.Google Scholar
- 8.Liberman B, Wajchenberg BL, Tambascia MA, Mesquita CH. Periodic remission in Cushing's disease with paradoxical dexamethasone response: An expression of periodic hormonogenesis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 197;43:913–918.Google Scholar
- 9.Birke G, Diczfalusy E. Fluctuations in the excretion of adrenocortical steroids in a case of Cushing's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Meta 1956; 16:286–290.Google Scholar
- 10.Bassoe HH, Emberland R, Stoa KF. Fluctuating steroid excretion in Cushing's syndrome. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1958;28:163–168.Google Scholar
- 18.Thorner MO, Martin WH, Ragan GE, MacLeod RM, Feldman PS, Bruni C, Williamson BR, Orth DN. A case of ectopic ACTH syndrome: Diagnostic difficulties caused by intermittent hormone secretion. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 1982;99:364–370.Google Scholar
- 20.Arnaldi G, Mancini T, Kola B, Appolloni G, Freddi S, Concettoni C, Bearzi I, Masini A, Boscaro M, Mantero F. Cyclical Cushing's syndrome in a patient with a bronchial neuroendocrine tumor (typical carcinoid) expressing ghrelin and growth hormone secretagogue receptors. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:5834–5840.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Atkinson AB, Kennedy AL, Carson DJ, Hadden DR, Weaver JA, Sheridan B. Five cases of cyclical Cushing's syndrome. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985;291:1453–1457.Google Scholar
- 30.Bonneville JF, Bonneville F, Cattin F. Magnetic resonance imaging of pituitary adenomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:2214–2221.Google Scholar
- 33.Vincentelli A, Susen S, Le Tourneau T, Six I, Fabre O, Juthier F, Bauters A, Decoene C, Goudemand J, Prat A, Jude B. Acquired von Willebrand syndrome in aortic stenosis. N Engl J Med 2003 24:343–349.Google Scholar