Early emergence of the FtsH proteases involved in photosystem II repair
Efficient degradation of damaged D1 during the repair of PSII is carried out by a set of dedicated FtsH proteases in the thylakoid membrane. Here we investigated whether the evolution of FtsH could hold clues to the origin of oxygenic photosynthesis. A phylogenetic analysis of over 6000 FtsH protease sequences revealed that there are three major groups of FtsH proteases originating from gene duplication events in the last common ancestor of bacteria, and that the FtsH proteases involved in PSII repair form a distinct clade branching out before the divergence of FtsH proteases found in all groups of anoxygenic phototrophic bacteria. Furthermore, we showed that the phylogenetic tree of FtsH proteases in phototrophic bacteria is similar to that for Type I and Type II reaction centre proteins. We conclude that the phylogeny of FtsH proteases is consistent with an early origin of photosynthetic water oxidation chemistry.
Additional key wordsAAA+ protease chloroplast cyanobacteria evolution photoprotection water oxidation
ATPase associated with diverse activities
candidate phyla radiation
horizontal gene transfer
reactive oxygen species
- Baker M.J., Tatsuta T., Langer T.: Quality control of mitochondrial proteostasis.–CSH Perspect. Biol. 3: 1–19, 2011.Google Scholar
- Bryant D.A., Liu Z., Li T. et al.: Comparative and functional genomics of anoxygenic green bacteria from the taxa Chlorobi, Chloroflexi, Acidobacteria.–In: Burnap R.L., Vermaas W. (ed.): Functional Genomics and Evolution of Photosynthetic Systems. Pp. 47–102. Springer, Dordrecht 2012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cardona T., Sánchez-Baracaldo P., Rutherford A.W. et al.: Molecular evidence for the early evolution of photosynthetic water oxidation.–bioRxiv: https://doi.org/10.1101/109447, 2017.Google Scholar
- Heazlewood J.L., Tonti-Filippini J.S., Gout A.M. et al.: Experimental analysis of the Arabidopsis mitochondrial proteome highlights signaling and regulatory components, provides assessment of targeting prediction programs, indicates plantspecific mitochondrial proteins.–Plant Cell 16: 241–256, 2004.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Komárek J., Kaštovský J., Mareš J. et al.: Taxonomic classification of cyanoprokaryotes (cyanobacterial genera) 2014, using a polyphasic approach.–Preslia 86: 295–335, 2014.Google Scholar
- Sakamoto W., Zaltsman A., Adam Z. et al.: Coordinated regulation and complex formation of YELLOW VARIEGATED1 and YELLOW VARIEGATED2, chloroplastic FtsH metalloproteases involved in the repair cycle of photosystem II in Arabidopsis thylakoid membranes.–Plant Cell 15: 2843–2855, 2003.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and the source are credited.