In recent work, Louis deRosset (Philosophical Studies 149:73–97, 2010) has argued that priority theorists, who hold that truths about macroscopic objects can be metaphysically explained without reference to such things, cannot meet an independently motivated constraint upon good explanation. By clarifying the nature of the priority theorist’s project, I argue that deRosset’s argument fails to establish its conclusion.
KeywordsPriority Fundamentality Metaphysical explanation Truthmaking
Many thanks to Elizabeth Barnes, Ross Cameron, Dominic Gregory, Eric Olson, Jason Turner, Robbie Williams, Richard Woodward, and an anonymous referee for this journal. I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank the Royal Institute of Philosophy for a Jacobsen Fellowship which supported me financially during the writing of this paper.
- Cameron, R. (2009). How to have a radically minimal ontology. Philosophical Studies. doi: 10.1007/s11098-009-9442-2.
- Cameron, R. (2010). Quantification, naturalness and ontology. In: A. Hazlett (Ed.), New waves in metaphysics (pp. 8–26). Basingstoke: Palgrave-Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Dorr, C. (2005). What we disagree about when we disagree about ontology. In: Mark, Kalderon (Ed.), Fictionalism in metaphysics (pp. 234–286). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fine, K. (2001). The question of realism. Philosopher’’s Imprint, 1, 1–30.Google Scholar
- Melia, J. (2005). Truthmaking without truthmakers. In: H. Beebee, & J. Dodd (Eds.), Truthmakers: The contemporary debate (pp. 67–84). Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Schaffer, J. (2009). On what grounds what. In: D. Chalmers, D. Manley, & R. Wasserman (Eds.), Metametaphysics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Sider, T. (2009). Ontological realism. In: D. Chalmers, D. Manley, & R. Wasserman (Eds.), Metametaphysics (pp. 383–423). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- von Solodkoff, T., & Woodward, R. (MS.). Noneism and fundamentality. Unpublished manuscript. Google Scholar
- Williams, J. R. G. (MS.). Requirements on reality. Unpublished manuscript.Google Scholar