Sildenafil citrate use in Addis Ababa: characteristics of users and pharmacists’ dispensing practices
- 123 Downloads
Background Studies have reported misuse of sildenafil citrate for recreational purpose, not least by healthy young men. This is becoming a major concern, for medical and other reasons. Objective The aim of this study was to document the characteristics of sildenafil citrate users and to explore the dispensing practices of the medicine in selected community pharmacies in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Setting Data was collected in community pharmacies in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Method A survey, using a self-administrated questionnaire, was conducted among customers who purchased sildenafil citrate from community pharmacies. Simple descriptive statistics were used to analyse data. Also, semi-structured interviews were conducted with community pharmacists. These were analysed thematically. Main outcome measures Socio-demographic characteristics (survey), themes (interviews). Results All survey respondents (n = 197) were men, 57.9% were below 40 years old, 53.8% had never been married and 58.4% had used sildenafil citrate before. A minority (16.2%) were diagnosed with erectile dysfunction. The main reason for buying sildenafil citrate was experimentation (45.7%). Pharmacists reported that sildenafil citrate was often dispensed without a prescription. The reason for this was, according to the interviewees, competition in the market. Also, the medicine was often dispensed without adequate information or counselling. Conclusions Selling and buying sildenafil citrate without a prescription seems to be common practice in pharmacies in Addis Ababa. It is crucial to strengthen the regulatory activity to protect customers from health risks. In addition pharmacy professionals should be supported to work in accordance with professional and legal standards.
KeywordsCommunity pharmacy Erectile dysfunction Ethiopia Misuse Sildenafil citrate
The authors would like to acknowledge the invaluable contribution of all community pharmacies and professionals who participated in data collection, and all respondents in both surveys and interviews.
This study did not receive any funding.
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Anonymous 1993. NIH Consensus Conference. Impotence. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Impotence. JAMA. 1993;270:83–90.Google Scholar
- 5.Mayo Clinic. Erectile dysfunction: causes. 2015. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/erectile-dysfunction/symptoms-causes/dxc-20314091 Accessed 06 June 2017.
- 18.Food, Medicine, Health Care Administration and Control Authority (FMHACA). List of Medicines for Community Pharmacy, Addis Ababa. 2012. http://www.fmhaca.gov.et/documents/List_of_Medicien_For_Community_Pharmacy_4th.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2017.
- 19.Food, Medicine, Health Care Administration and Control Authority (FMHACA). List of Medicines for Drug Shop, Addis Ababa. 2012. http://www.fmhaca.gov.et/documents/4th_LMDS_List_for_Drug_Shop.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2017.
- 20.Food, Medicine, Health Care Administration and Control Authority (FMHACA). Manual for Medicines Good Dispensing Practice. 2nd ed. 2012. http://www.fmhaca.gov.et/documents/Medicines_Good_Dispensing_Manual_second_edition_2012.pdf. Accessed 26 June 2017.
- 22.Central Statistical Agency. Population Projection of Ethiopia for All Regions At Wereda Level from 2014 – 2017. 2013. http://www.csa.gov.et/index.php/ehioinfo-internal?download=724:population-projection-of-ethiopia-for-all-regions-atwereda-level-from-2014-2017&start=5. Accessed 19 June 2017.
- 23.Addis Ababa city integrated land & information centre. Addis Ababa administrative divisions. http://www.ilic.gov.et/index.php/en/administrative-boundaries. Accessed 19 June 2017.
- 31.Moser C. The effect of sildenafil citrate on middle-aged “Normal” men. Electronic J Hum Sex. 2001;4. http://www.ejhs.org/volume4/Moser/body.htm.
- 32.Pfizer Product Inc. Revatio (sildenafil citrate tablets), cGMP-Specific Phosphodiesterase type 5 Inhibitor, Treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. (Product Monograph) 2015. http://www.pfizer.ca/sites/g/files/g10028126/f/201512/REVATIO_PM_187384_E_0.pdf Accessed 06 June 2017.