Octreotide-Modified Polymeric Micelles as Potential Carriers for Targeted Docetaxel Delivery to Somatostatin Receptor Overexpressing Tumor Cells
- 462 Downloads
Somatostatin analogue octreotide (OCT)-modified PEG-b-PLA micelles were constructed to bind to somatostatin receptors (SSTRs) overexpressed on tumor cells for enhanced intracellular drug delivery and improved therapeutic efficacy for malignant tumors.
Copolymers conjugated with octreotide (OCT-PEG6000-b-PLA5000) were synthesized. The fluorescent probe DiI or docetaxel (DTX)-loaded micelles with or without octreotide modification (OCT-PM-DiI, PM-DiI, OCT-PM-DTX and PM-DTX) were prepared, and their physiochemical properties, intracellular delivery in vitro or anti-tumor activity in vivo were evaluated, respectively.
The CMC of OCT-PEG6000-b-PLA5000 was quite low (<10−6 mol/L). All micelles were less than 80 nm with spherical shape and high encapsulation efficiency. DTX molecules were well dispersed in the micelles without chemical interactions with the polymers. Flow cytometry and confocal microscopy results showed that OCT-PM-DiI enhanced intracellular delivery efficiency via receptor-mediated endocytosis in NCI-H446 cells; the optimal modification ratio of OCT on micelle surface was 5%. OCT-PM-DTX exhibited higher retardation of tumor growth after intravenous injections into xenograft NCI-H446 tumor model; octreotide-modified micelles did not show severe toxicity.
SSTRs targeting micelles may serve as promising nanocarriers in tumor treatment for hydrophobic anticancer drugs, such as DTX.
KEY WORDSantitumor efficacy DTX intracellular delivery octreotide polymeric micelles
This study was supported by projects from Ministry of Science and Technology, PR China (No. 2009CB930300, No. 2007AA021811, No. 2009ZX09310-001). We thank Dr. Jinfeng Du for his help in preparing the graphs of the manuscript.
- 5.Shao K, Huang R, Li J, Han L, Ye L, J. Lou, et al. Angiopep-2 modified PE-PEG based polymeric micelles for amphotericin B delivery targeted to the brain. J Control Release. 2010; 147: 118-26.Google Scholar
- 6.Xiong XB, Uludag H. A. Lavasanifar. Virus-mimetic polymeric micelles for targeted siRNA delivery. Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 5886-93.Google Scholar
- 16.Appetecchiaand M, Baldelli R. Somatostatin analogues in the treatment of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumours, current aspects and new perspectives. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 29:19.Google Scholar
- 34.Jule E, Nagasaki Y, Kataoka K. Lactose-installed poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(d, l-lactide) block copolymer micelles exhibit fast-rate binding and high affinity toward a protein bed simulating a cell surface. A surface plasmon resonance study. Bioconjug Chem. 2003;14:177–86.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Hwang HY, Kim IS, Kwon IC, Kim YH. Tumor targetability and antitumor effect of docetaxel-loaded hydrophobically modified glycol chitosan nanoparticles. J Control Release. 2008; 128: 23-31.Google Scholar
- 36.Taxotere® Prescribing Information. Bridgewater, NJ: sanofi-aventis U.S. LLC; Rev. December 2006.Google Scholar