Quantitative HPLC determination of phenolic compounds in yarrow
- 164 Downloads
The qualitative and quantitative compositions of flavonoids (vicenin-2, luteolin-3′-di-O-glycoside, luteolin-7-O-glycoside, rutin, apigenin-7-O-glycoside, luteolin, apigenin) and chlorogenic acid in herb, leaves, and stems of yarrow (Achillea millefolium) samples collected in the Kaunas region of Lithuania have been studied by means of high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). It is established that these substances exhibit a characteristic distribution with predominant formation of apigenin-7-O-glycoside and luteolin-7-O-glycoside among the identified flavonoids in the herb of yarrow whereas the leaves contain predominantly chlorogenic acid, rutin, and apigenin-7-O-glycoside; the stems, predominantly chlorogenic acid, rutin, apigenin-7-O-glycoside, and luteolin-7-O-glycoside. The results can be used to choose selection donors of this medicinal plant material.
KeywordsFlavonoid Rutin Chlorogenic Acid Luteolin Apigenin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. Barnes, L. A. Anderson, and J. D. Phillipson, Herbal Medicines, A Guide for Healthcare Professionals, Pharmaceutical Press, London, Chicago (2002), pp. 489–491.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Blumenthal, A. Goldberg, and J. Brinckmann, Herbal Medicine, Expanded Commission E Monographs, Integrative Medicine Communications, Newton (2000), pp. 419–423.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Nemeth, J. Essent. Oil Res., 17, 501–512 (2005).Google Scholar
- 10.R. F. Chandler, S. N. Hooper, and M. J. Harvey, Econ. Bot., 36, No. 2, 203–223 (1982).Google Scholar
- 11.B. Benedek, E. Rozema, N. Gjoncaj, and B. Kopp, Z. Phytother., 27, S1, V02 (2006).Google Scholar
- 13.European Pharmacopoeia, Suppl. 5.7 to the 5th Ed. 04 / 2007, Strasbourg, Council of Europe, 67075 (2006), p. 5145.Google Scholar
- 14.State Pharmacopoeia [in Russian], XIth Ed., Vol. 2, Meditsina, Moscow (1989), pp. 325–327.Google Scholar
- 15.Practicum on Agrochemistry [in Russian], Izd. Mosk. Univ., Moscow (1989).Google Scholar
- 16.GOST 26107-84, “Methods for determining total nitrogen.”Google Scholar
- 17.GOST 26207-84, “Determination of mobile forms of phosphorus and potassium by the CINAO modified Kirsanov method.”Google Scholar
- 18.GOST 26213-84, “Determination of humus by the CINAO modified Turin method.”Google Scholar