Rapid Assessment of Oxidation Behavior in Co-Based γ/γ′ Alloys
- 199 Downloads
A high-throughput, non-destructive photostimulated luminescence spectroscopy (PSLS) technique was used to analyze fifty oxidized Co-based γ/γ′ alloy samples for the presence of α-Al2O3. Alloys were produced by combinatorial ion-plasma deposition, and oxidation was performed at 1100 °C for 1 h in air. PSLS measurements are compared with microscopy of oxides in cross-section to relate the presence of the luminescence signal of α-Al2O3 with the thickness of the oxide scale. Analysis of the current dataset validates the use of PSLS as a rapid screening technique of oxidation behavior for the present materials system.
KeywordsCobalt-base superalloys Combinatorial synthesis Oxidation Photostimulated luminescence spectroscopy
This investigation was sponsored by the National Science Foundation under DMREF Grant DMR 1534264. The authors are grateful to GE Global Research, especially Dr. Don M. Lipkin and Messrs. Scott Weaver and Vince Tur for providing technical guidance and for performing the IPD synthesis of the combinatorial libraries. The technical assistance of Dr. Stephan Krämer and Messrs. Mark Cornish, Deryck Stave, and Chris Torbet is greatly appreciated.
- 12.D. J. Young, High Temperature Oxidation and Corrosion of Metals, (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2008).Google Scholar
- 15.F. S. Pettit, Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME 239, 1296 (1967).Google Scholar
- 24.C. A. Stewart, R. K. Rhein, A. Suzuki, T. M. Pollock, C. G. Levi. Oxide scale formation in novel γ–γ’ cobalt-based alloys, in Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Superalloys, eds. M. Hardy, E. Huron, and U. Glatzel, et al. TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, 2016), p. 991.Google Scholar
- 27.N. Mironova-Ulmane, A. Kuzmin, I. Steins, J. Grabis, I. Sildos and M. Pärs, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 93, 012039 (2007).Google Scholar
- 32.K. Kawagishi, A.-C. Yeh, T. Yokokawa, T. Kobayashi, Y. Koizumi, H. Harada, Development of an oxidation-resistant high-strength sixth-generation single-crystal superalloy TMS-238. Paper Present Superalloys Seven Springs Mt. Resort Champion PA, USA (2012), p. 9.Google Scholar