High-Temperature Oxidation Behavior of SIMP Steel at 800 °C
In this work, the high-temperature oxidation behavior of SIMP and commercial T91 steels was investigated in air at 800 °C for up to 1008 h. The oxides formed on the two steels were characterized and analyzed by XRD, SEM and EPMA. The results showed that the weight gain and oxide thickness of SIMP steel were rather smaller than those of T91 steel, that flake-like Cr2O3 with Mn1.5Cr1.5O4 spinel particles formed on SIMP steel, while double-layer structure consisting of an outer hematite Fe2O3 layer and an inner Fe–Cr spinel layer formed on T91 steel, and that the location of the oxide layer spallation was at the inner Fe–Cr spinel after 1008 h, which led the ratio between the outer layer and the inner layer to decrease. The reason that SIMP steel exhibited better high-temperature oxidation resistance than that of T91 steel was analyzed due to the higher Cr and Si contents that could form compact and continuous oxide layer on the steel.
KeywordsFerritic/martensitic steel SIMP steel High-temperature oxidation Oxide scale T91 steel
This work was financially supported by a sub-project (XDA03010301, XDA03010302) of Advanced Fission Energy Program-ADS Transmutation System, Chinese Academy of Sciences Strategic Priority Research Program (XDA03010000) and Youth Innovation Promotion Association of Chinese Academy of Sciences (2017233) and Innovation Project of Institute of Metal Research (2015-ZD04).
- 7.M. P. Brady, I. G. Wright and B. Gleeson, JOM 52, (1), 2000 (16–21).Google Scholar
- 16.Q. Shi, J. Liu, W. Wang, W. Yan, Y. Shan and K. Yang, Oxidation of Metals 83, (3), 2015 (1–12).Google Scholar
- 18.B A. Pint and I.G. Wright, In The Oxidation Behavior of Fe-Al Alloys, Materials Science Forum, (Trans Tech Publ: 2004), pp. 799–806.Google Scholar
- 22.I. Kaur and W. Gust, Fundamentals of Grain and Interphase Boundary Diffusion, (Ziegler Press, Stuttgart, 1988).Google Scholar
- 27.N. Pilling, R. E. Bedworth, The Oxidation of Metals at High Temperatures (1923).Google Scholar