Influence of the Slurry Thickness and Heat Treatment Parameters on the Formation of Aluminium Diffusion Coating
- 136 Downloads
Formation of the FeAl3 or Fe2Al5 phase during the aluminization of iron-based alloys causes detrimental behaviour of the material due to the brittleness of these phases and the different coefficient of thermal expansion between the base material and the resulting diffusion coating. In order to control the microstructure of the produced diffusion zone and its evolution, two different slurry thicknesses (30–50 and 100–150 µm) using high-purity aluminium spherical particles and three different heat treatments times (5, 10 and 20 h) were tested over ferritic–martensitic P92 steel. After the heat treatment, iron–aluminide phases rich in aluminium content were formed. After 1350 hours of exposure in air at 650 °C, it was found that for the coatings in the range of 30–50 µm neither FeAl3 nor Fe2Al5 phase remained in the diffusion coating, while Fe2Al5 did remain in those coatings in the range of 100–150 µm.
KeywordsSlurry aluminium Coating Diffusion coating Aluminization Iron–aluminium intermetallics Thickness optimization
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under Grant Agreement No NMP3-SL-2012-310436 POEMA.
- 4.A. Agüero, Revista de Metalurgia 43, 63 (2007).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Agüero, M. García and M. Gutiérrez, Materials and Corrosion 56, 937 (2005).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Fry, S. Osgerby and M. Wright, Oxidation of Alloys in Steam. Report No. NPL Report MATC(A)90 (2002).Google Scholar
- 16.S. Velraj, Y. Zhang, E. W. Hawkins and B. A. Pint, Materials and Corrosion 63, 909 (2012).Google Scholar
- 21.G. Temizel and M. Özenbaş, Turkish Journal of Engineering and Environmental Sciences 31, 71 (2007).Google Scholar
- 24.V. Rohr, M. Schütze, E. Fortuna, D. N. Tsipas, A. Milewska and F. J. Pérez, Materials and Corrosion 56, 874 (2005).Google Scholar
- 26.Y. Zhang, A. P. Liu and B. A. Pint, Materials and Corrosion 58, 751 (2007).Google Scholar
- 32.J. T. Bauer, X. Montero, M. Schütze, and M. C. Galetz, Surface and Coatings Technologie 285, 179 (2016).Google Scholar
- 33.R. Roussel, Research on multifunctional high temperature coatings based on micro sized aluminium particles. PhD Thesis, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Fraunhofer ICT, 2013.Google Scholar
- 36.http://www.crct.polymtl.ca/fact/ Accesed March 2016.
- 38.E. G. Ivanov and N. E. Zhukov, translated from Metallovedenie I Termisheskaya Obrabotka Metallov, No. 6 (1979), pp. 33–35.Google Scholar
- 40.B. A. Pint and Y. Zhang, Materials and Corrosion 62, 549 (2011).Google Scholar