Cyclic Corrosion Behavior of Ni-Based Superalloys in Hot Lithium Molten Salt
- 354 Downloads
In this study, the cyclic corrosion behavior of N06230, N07263, and N06625 in a LiCl–Li2O molten salt was investigated at 650 °C in argon atmosphere. The cyclic corrosion behavior was observed through measurements of the oxide morphology and thickness, the extent of internal corrosion, and compositional changes in the oxide scale and the substrate. The corrosion products in the surface corrosion layers of N07263 were (Ni,Co)O, (Ni,Co)Cr2O4, Cr2O3, and TiO2 and those in the surface corrosion layers of N06230 were NiO, NiCr2O4, and Cr2O3, while NiO, NiCr2O4, CrNbO4, and Cr2O3 were identified as the corrosion products of N06625. The internal corrosion behavior of N07263 was localized, while N06230 and N06625 showed uniform corrosion. N07263 exhibited superior corrosion resistance as its corrosion layer was more continuous, dense, and adherent as compared to those of N06230 and N06625.
KeywordsHot corrosion Lithium molten salt Electrolytic reduction Structural material
This work was funded by the National Mid- and Long-term Atomic Energy R&D Program supported by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology of Korea.
- 4.H. S. Ray, Introduction to Melts—Molten Salts, Slags & Glasses, (Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2006).Google Scholar
- 6.J.G. Gonzalez, S. Haro, A. Martinez–Villafane, V.M. Salinas-Bravo, and J. Porcayo–Calderon, Materials Science and Engineering A 258, 435 (2006).Google Scholar
- 21.H. Izuta and Y. Komura, Journal of the Japan Institute of Metals 58, 1196 (1994).Google Scholar
- 22.Y. Harada, Japan Thermal Spray Society 33, 128 (1996).Google Scholar
- 23.HSC Chemistry 6.12, Outotec Research Oy, Pori, Finland.Google Scholar
- 24.F. William, Smith, Structure and Properties of Engineering Alloys, 2nd edn, (McGraw-Hill, Inc, New York, 1993).Google Scholar
- 26.G. H. Meier, Materials Science and Engineering A120, 1 (1989).Google Scholar
- 27.D. Caplan and M. Cohen, Corrosion 15, 141 (1959).Google Scholar
- 28.D. A. Jones, Principles and Prevention of Corrosion, (Macmillan Publishing Company, New York, 1992).Google Scholar
- 32.C. R. Crayton and Y. C. Lu, Corrosion Science 29, 7 (1989).Google Scholar