The Role of Supernova Neutrinos on Molecular Homochirality
- 93 Downloads
Electroweak parity violating interaction between supernova (SN) neutrinos and electrons of a simple chiral molecule is studied related to the origin of molecular homochirality. Appearance of supernova remnants inside molecular clouds favours the interaction of SN-neutrinos with interstellar molecules, leading to a energetic difference between the two enantiomers of the order of 10–5 eV. This energetic difference is closer to the thermic energy of the interstellar medium, so molecular homochirality could be enhanced in molecular clouds containing supernova remnants inside it due to neutrino interaction.
Keywordschiroselection chiral molecules neutrino-electron scattering supernova neutrinos
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cline DB (1996) Physical origin of homochirality in life. In: AIP Conf. Proc., 379, American Institute of Physics, Woodbury, MNGoogle Scholar
- Halzen F, Martin AD (1984) Quarks and leptons: an introductory course in modern particle physics. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- MacDermott AJ, Barron LD, Brack A, Buhse T, Drake AF, Emery R, Gottarelli G, Greenberg JM, Haberle R, Hegstrom RA, Hobbs K, Kondepudi DK, McKay C, Moorbath S, Raulin F, Sandford M, Schwartzman DW, Thiemann WHP, Tranter GE, Zarnecki JC (1996) Homochirality as the signature of life: the SETH cigar. Planet Space Sci 44(11):1441–1446PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nuevo M, Meierhenrich UJ, d’Hendecourt L, Muñoz Caro GM, Dartois E, Deboffle D, Thiemann WH-P, Bredehft WH-P, Nahon L (2005) Enantiomeric separation of complex organic molecules produced from irradiation of interstellar/circumstellar ice analogs. Adv Space Res (in press)Google Scholar
- Tsarev VA (1999) Chiral influence of neutrinos from supernova explosion. Kratkie Soobsheniya to Pizike. Brief Rep Phys 1:18–22Google Scholar