Abstract Separation Systems
Abstract separation systems provide a simple general framework in which both tree-shape and high cohesion of many combinatorial structures can be expressed, and their duality proved. Applications range from tangle-type duality and tree structure theorems in graphs, matroids or CW-complexes to, potentially, image segmentation and cluster analysis. This paper is intended as a concise common reference for the basic definitions and facts about abstract separation systems in these and any future papers using this framework.
KeywordsConnectivity Graph Tangle Lattice Partial order Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bowler, N., Diestel, R., Mazoit, F.: Tangle-tree duality in infinite graphs. In preparationGoogle Scholar
- 4.Diestel, R.: Graph Theory (5th edition, 2016). Springer-Verlag, 2017. Electronic edition available at http://diestel-graph-theory.com/
- 5.Diestel, R., Erde, J.: Tangles in abstract separation systems. In preparationGoogle Scholar
- 6.Diestel, R., Erde, J., Eberenz, Ph.: Duality theorem for blocks and tangles in graphs. arXiv:1605.09139, to appear in SIAM J. Discrete Mathematics (2016)
- 7.Diestel, R., Hundertmark, F., Lemanczyk, S.: Profiles of separations: in graphs, matroids, and beyond. arXiv:1110.6207, to appear in Combinatorica
- 8.Diestel, R., Oum, S.: Tangle-tree duality in abstract separation systems. arXiv:1701.02509 (2017)
- 9.Diestel, R., Oum, S.: Tangle-tree duality in graphs, matroids and beyond. arXiv:1701.02651 (2017)
- 10.Diestel, R., Whittle, G.: Tangles and the Mona Lisa. arXiv:1603.06652 (2016)