Optical bistability in defective photonic multilayers doped by graphene
- 497 Downloads
We study the optical bistability (OB) in photonic multilayers doped by graphene sheets, stacking two Bragg reflectors with a defect layer between the reflectors. OB stems from the nonlinear effect of graphene, so the local field of defect mode (DM) could enhance the nonlinearity and reduce the thresholds of bistability. The structure achieves the tunability of bistability due to that the DM frequency and transmittance could be modulated by the chemical potential. Bistability thresholds and interval of the two stable states could be remarkably reduced by decreasing the chemical potential. A lager Bragg periodic number could increase the localizing of field, but the graphene loss may decrease the intensity of transmission light. We have concluded an appropriate periodic number to achieve OB. The study suggests that the tunable bistability of the structure could be used for all-optical switches in optical communication systems.
KeywordsOptical bistability Nonlinear optics Graphene
This work is supported by the 973 Program (Grant No. 2014CB921301), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11674117, 11304108), Natural Science Foundation of Hubei Province (Grant No. 2015CFA040).
- Hong, S.Y., Dadap, J.I., Petrone, N., Yeh, P.C., Hone, J., Jr, R.M.O.: Optical third-harmonic generation in graphene. Phys. Rev. X 3, 021014 (2013)Google Scholar
- Mehdian, H., Mohammadzahery, Z., Hasanbeigi, A.: The effect of magnetic field on bistability in 1D photonic crystal doped by magnetized plasma and coupled nonlinear defects. Phys. Plasmas 21, 502–543 (2013)Google Scholar
- Qin, C., Wang, B., Long, H., Wang, K., Lu, P.: Nonreciprocal phase shift and mode modulation in dynamic graphene waveguides. J. Lightwave Technol. 34(16), 3877–3883 (2016)Google Scholar
- Solookinejad, G.: Controllable optical bistability and multistability in a slab defected with monolayer graphene nanostructure. Eur. Phys. J. Plus 131(126), 1–9 (2016)Google Scholar
- Yariv, A., Yeh, P.: Photonics, Optical Electronics in Modern Communications, 6th edn. Oxford University Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar