Mechanism investigation of a narrow-band super absorber using an asymmetric Fabry–Perot cavity
- 147 Downloads
We propose a metal–insulator-metal super absorber based on an asymmetric Fabry–Perot cavity, by which a perfect narrow-band absorption can be achieved. In this structure, two silver layers form a cavity spaced by a lossless silicon oxide layer. The absorption of the absorber can reach about 98% and its absorption peak can be tuned by altering the thickness of the middle SiO2 layer. We further present a deep comprehension on the physics mechanism of such high absorption. This super absorber can be easily fabricated by mature thin film technology, which make it an appropriate candidate for photodetectors, sensing, and spectroscopy.
KeywordsSuper absorber Thin film Metal–insulator-metal structure Fabry–Perot cavity
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. U1435210, 61306125, 61675199 and 11604329), the Science and Technology Innovation Project (Y3CX1SS143) of CIOMP, the Science and Technology Innovation Project of Jilin Province (Nos. 20130522147JH and 20140101176JC).
- Byoungchoo, P., Soo, H.Y., Chan, Y.C., Young, C.K., Jung, C.S., Hong, G.J., Yoon, H.H., Inchan, H., Ku, Y.B., Young, I.L., Han, S.U., Guang, S.C., Eun, H.C.: Surface plasmon excitation in semitransparent inverted polymer photovoltaic devices and their applications as label-free optical sensors. Light Sci. Appl. 3, e222 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Claire, M.W., Xianliang, L., Willie, J.P.: Metamaterial electromagnetic wave absorbers. Adv. Mater. 24, 98–120 (2012)Google Scholar
- Jian, W., Wei, B.L., Xiao, B.L., Ji, L.L.: Terahertz wavefront control based on graphene manipulated Fabry–Pérot cavities. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 28, 971–974 (2016)Google Scholar
- Mikhail, A.K., Romain, B., Patrice, G., Federico, C.: Nanometre optical coatings based on strong interference effects in highly absorbing media. Nat. Mater. 12, 20–24 (2013)Google Scholar
- Palik, E.D.: Handbook of Optical Constants in Solids. Academic Press, San Diego (1991)Google Scholar
- Renato, O., Alberto, T., Pierluigi, D.: Bimodal resonance phenomena—part I: generalized Fabry-Pérot interferometers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 52, 6100508 (2016)Google Scholar
- Salisbury, W.W.W.: Absorbent body for electromagnetic waves. Patent US 2599944 (1952)Google Scholar
- Stephen, Y.C., Wei, D.: Ultrathin, high-efficiency, broad-band, omniacceptance, organic solar cells enhanced by plasmonic cavity with subwavelength hole array. Opt. Express 21, A60–A76 (2012)Google Scholar
- Yan, R.H., Simes, R.J., Coldren, L.A.: Electro absorptive Fabry–Perot reflection modulators with asymmetric mirrors. IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 9, 1041–1135 (1998)Google Scholar
- Yeh, P.: Optical Waves in Layered Media. Wiley, New York City (2005)Google Scholar