Wavelength division multiplexing module with large core optical polymer planar splitter and multilayered dielectric filters
- 90 Downloads
The paper reports on the design, fabrication and characterization of low cost and simple fabrication method of the planar wavelength division multiplexing modules with large core input/outputs multimode optical polymer waveguides. The modules are consisting on optical 1x2Y splitter assembled with multilayered dielectric filters and large core plastic fibers. The splitters were designed by beam propagation method using BeamPROP software for input/outputs polymer fibers with 1 mm diameter. Acrylic-based polymers were used as core optical waveguides and poly(methyl methacrylate) were used as substrate and protection cover. Multilayered dielectric filters for wavelengths 532 and 650 nm were used for wavelength division multiplexing. Measurement of the optical insertion losses proved that the insertion optical loss could be lower than 8.1 dB at 650 nm and 8.7 dB at 532 nm. The best module had insertion losses 6.8 dB at 650 nm and 6.9 dB at 532 nm. The wavelength division multiplexing modules can be applied for new application in low cost short distances optical networks.
KeywordsWavelength division multiplexing Optical splitter Multilayered dielectric filters Large core optical waveguides Polymer
This work was supported by the research program of Czech Technical University in Prague project name Micro and Nanostructures and Devices (No. OHK3-013/17).
- Ehsan, A.A., Shaari, S., Rahman, M.K.A.: Design and fabrication of an acrylic-based 1 × 2 POF coupler using CNC machining. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Semiconductor Electronics, Johor Bahru, pp. 340–344 (2008)Google Scholar
- Klotzbuecher, T., Braune, T., Dadic, D., Sprzagala, M., Koch, A.: Fabrication of optical 1 × 2 POF splitters using the laser-LIGA technique. In: Proceedings Laser Micromachining for Optoelectronic Device Fabrication, vol. 4941, pp. 121–132 (2003)Google Scholar
- Prajzler, V., Lyutakov, O., Huttel, I., Spirkova, J., Jerabek, V.: Design of polymer wavelength splitter 1310 nm/1550 nm based on multimode interferences. Radioengineering 19, 606–609 (2010)Google Scholar
- Prajzler, V., Strilek, E., Spirkova, J., Jerabek, V.: Design of the novel wavelength triplexer using multiple polymer microring resonators. Radioengineering 21, 258–263 (2012a)Google Scholar
- Prajzler, V., Pham, N.K., Spirkova, J.: Design, fabrication and properties of the multimode polymer planar 1x2Y optical splitter. Radioengineering 21, 1202–1207 (2012b)Google Scholar
- Prajzler, V., Neruda, M., Spirkova, J.: Planar large core polymer optical 1 × 2 and 1 × 4 splitters connectable to plastic optical fiber. Radioengineering 22, 751–757 (2013)Google Scholar
- Prajzler, V., Mastera, R., Jerabek, V.: Large core planar 1 × 2 optical power splitter with acrylate and epoxy resin waveguides on polydimetylsiloxane substrate. Radioengineering 23, 488–495 (2014)Google Scholar
- Prajzler, V., Knietel, M., Maštera, R.: Large core optical planar splitter for visible and infrared region. Opt. Quantum Electron. 48, 155 (2016)Google Scholar
- Ziemann, O., Krauser, J., Zamzow, P.E., Daum, W.: POF Handbook, 2nd edn, pp. 509–510. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar